World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm still buying ready made rigs atm, and the knot they use to tie on the hook is so bulky that i cant get the rag worms to swallow it.

What would be a better knot (slimmer) to tie the hook with, to make their experience a little less traumatic :laugh:

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
A uni-knot or Grinner will keep the tag end parallel to the trace.

If you still have problems threading the worm over the knot maybe your trace line is too thick or stiff.

Otherwise get some bigger worms.

We dug a few half as big again last Tuesday. Problem is finding fish big enough to swallow them.

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
Try this knot mate - If using thinner line (15-20lb) have about 5 turns minimum - For heavier/thicker snoods 60lb+ you can get away with 4 turns or even 3 turns on 80lb snoods when targetting bigger species...

To stop worm(s) sliding down the hooks shank, add a fingernail sized bit of macki or squid after worms are threaded...

·
Registered
688 Posts
I use a pair of nailclippers for trimming knots, cutting line etc., and they have a hole in the end (I assume for attaching a cord). I find that if you put the bend of the hook in this hole, you can pull knots much tighter than if you are trying to hold the hook in your fingers and pull tight. A rushed News of the World-style "this is what it might have looked like" picture below.

For the actual knot, I use either a grinner knot or an improved clinch.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
a tucked half bloodknott is good as well as if you leave the tag about 3/4of a cm then once the worm is threaded up over the tag it then acts as a bendy barb, helping keep the worms on the hook :thumbs:

Ross

1 - 6 of 6 Posts