World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all.

I'm new to the site and indeed boat fishing and have enjoyed all previous posting. I hope that someone will give me a few tips on locations for launching my 15' Seahog Hunter fitted with 50hp Evinrude and 4hp Yamaha backup.
I read it is possible to use the slipway at Ardglass although it is steep. I don't drive a 4x4 so I am somewhat apprehensive using steep slopes. Are there any other slipways available around the Down coastline, Newcastle, Kilkeel, Killowen etc or any tips on launching using an ordinary saloon vehicle. :confused:
Also could anyone tell me how I can purchase nautical maps of the area.

Thank you :)

Bunty

·
Registered
36 Posts
You can drive right on to the beach at Ballywalter in the harbour area and launch directly inot the water. THe fishing is excellent at the minute for mackeral, lithe and blockan with a few small cad still about. I was out yesterday and for two hours and had about 8 dozen mackeral. All went back bar two which were delicious.

·
Registered
224 Posts
you dont have to use the public slip at ardglass (the steep one). i used it last time and the harbour master advised me to use the slip in the near by marina. its not steep and i think he said its only £3 to use

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
;) Thanks for the tips. I'll give Ballywalter and Ardglass a run at the end of next week if weather permits. What is the best time to go out and come back in, high or low tide? I'm a complete novice with boat fishing so please excuse the the questions.

Bunty :eek:

·
Registered
224 Posts
i usually try to fish an incoming tide, you can phone the harbour at ardglass and they will tell you the state of the tide and what the wind is doing. they are very helpfull

·
Registered
166 Posts
county down unlike county antrim not blessed with many public slips. there is one at strangford but it is very steep but it is not unknown to use ferry slip but you have to be quick. newcastle has a good slip but sure if it is actually public or not i know that almost everyone uses it and anyway if your boat is not too big it is nearly as easy to launch from the beach right beside the slip.
i'm sick of complaining to down council - they promote strangford lough as a tourist/boating area but they will not speng the money putting in facilities for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts