World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

looking for a bit of help here. not long bought a slosh 30. i have been using multiplyers for a long time and never had this problem. i am unsure if its me or its a problem with the real.

casting with the casting control full on is not a problem well apart from the fact it only goes about 50 yards. but as soon as i even slightly loosen the casting control i get really bad birdies so bad the the line has to be cut and respolled. when i say i loosen the casting control slighty i mean like really slightly.

the rod i am using with it is the carbon metal crest

its really starting to annoy me and has put me off the slosh 30.:dry:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
use 2 red brake blocks and red rocket fuel that should sort it out

clean your bearings out first

best way is with lighter fluid leave them alone for about an hr so after laking them out so all petrol evaporates reoil

hope this helps

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
Hi mate -

You should not be using this dial as a form of braking - it could damage your bearings and spindle, especially if you have it so tight that your only getting 50yds out of the reel.
Sloshes are controlled by brakeblocks (bb's) and oil grades. Have you checked to see if the bb's are actually on the allocated pin's inside your reel bcoz daiwa don't usually put bb's on them when new and used straight out of the box.
Are you getting a sore thumb from stopping the spool as it hits water bcoz this is a sure sign there ain't no bb's on the pins???

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi mate -

You should not be using this dial as a form of braking - it could damage your bearings and spindle, especially if you have it so tight that your only getting 50yds out of the reel.
Sloshes are controlled by brakeblocks (bb's) and oil grades. Have you checked to see if the bb's are actually on the allocated pin's inside your reel bcoz daiwa don't usually put bb's on them when new and used straight out of the box.
Are you getting a sore thumb from stopping the spool as it hits water bcoz this is a sure sign there ain't no bb's on the pins???

hi mate

sure am got many a burn mark from stopping it. its also making a rotten noise when casting :(

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
If Its Making A Noise It Need To Be Balanced

Try Putting 50 Yrds Of 8lb Line On First Then Spin If It Stops In The Same Place Do Again Until Smooth Runnig For The First 20 Yrds Your Thin Lin Should Look Like This Xxxx Then Level Out Get The Backing Wright The Rest Should Be Ok

A Slower Smooth Reel Is Better Then A Fast Noisy One And Your Bearings Will Last Longer

If You Want Pics Let Me Know Or Look On Myfishcasying.com

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Sorry Ment

Myfishcasting.com On The Home Page

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Do as suggested, check the brake blocks are fitted and clean and re oil the bearings with something thick, red label rocket is good.
What line are you using? this can effect the reel speed and especially how much you have on it.

Jim

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what do the brake blocks look like as this defo sounds like the problem?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the offer mate. i have just looked in the box and found a packet with 2 red blocks and 2 clear ones. i will fit these and see how it goes.

a stay up in clydebank mate

·
Registered
830 Posts
No bother, if you use heavier lines, 25lb or above, go for one red block, that should suffice. If you fish lighter you might want to start with the two red blocks and see how it goes. End spool tension needs to be adjusted so there is slight movement in the spool when its eganged in 'free' spool.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for the advise lads once again top notch:thumbs:

·
Registered
467 Posts
do you have to use the brake blocks as i have never fitted mine to my sl30sh had a few birdies but not usually a prob just stop the reel with my thumb as it hits water to stop it over running!

·
Registered
830 Posts
The blocks, or any form of braking for that matter, are to stop overruns during the initial surge of the cast and not once it hits the water. If you have no blocks installed and the reel does not overrun it may be because you have a low line level, thick oil in bearings or use heavier line; or a combination of these.

·
Registered
467 Posts
reel is loaded with 30lb red ice and loaded up not full with line but not to far off it do you think i would be better fitting one of the bbs

·
Registered
467 Posts
cheers for the advice mate! if it aint broke dont fix it lol

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi Fellas. Very informative thread. Can someone tell me where the brake blocks and bearings are and how to get them out for cleaning? The only time I take my slosh 30 apart is to rinse after fishing. I've never had the side plate off that has the handle on. When it needs serviced, I send it to reelcare, who are very good, so I don't know the inside workings very well. I've been lucky in that I've never had an over run, so I suppose it's set up pretty well. But maybe the bearings could do with a clean. I've put on some photos. Thanks in advance.
1. the spool
2. the left side plate
3 +4. the inside of the reel.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts