World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an SL30SH. Pete_Glasgow gave me some tips on the real Like adding the Breaks which I didn't know to do.

Ive added the 2 red ones one on each pin so I think that is sorted.

My next question. When you have the cluch lever on Off so that the spool is free, and you spin it with your thumb how many rotations should it do? I know that can be adjusted with the cast control cap, I also know now u should mess with that unless you have the cluch lever off.

Right now I have mine so that if i spin it with my thumb it does about 8 rotations. Should it be more or less are am i barking mad and looking at this all wrong?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Just have it so it spins 2 or 3 times and try a light cast and when u get used to it really slowly ease it off a mil at a time nothing worse than getting a biddy on ur first few casts hope all hose well m8

·
Power to the peaceful
2,160 Posts
fizo...
its a friendly reel...
and youv done the right thing putting the 2 red blocks in....
but best to set it up from now on in with it on the rod with line and a weight....

what breaking strain line do you have her filled up with/going to fill her up with.......?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Right now I'm setup with 20lb mainline and a 60lb shock leader. When I was brought up using Baitcasters (Low Profile) the rule of thumb was to adjust it to the weight of the lure so that it was just starting to take line. I guess its pretty similar I think i read somewhere to adjust it so that when you let the weight go down and it hits the ground you shouldn't have any overspin on the real.

I am planning to take it slow and build up my courage..!!! I think the diawa info you get with the reel is not very good (to be polite) They could probably add 100 words to it to give a bit of value. Even their website you would think they would take the time to setup a quick video of what to do after you take it out of the box.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mostly unforgiving rock. Been to Ferryden a couple of times and tried Boddin Point this weekend. All of it is rough ground. I want to get decent (Look like I know what I'm Doing) before I attempt Usan.

Also A guy PM'd me and said not to mess with the cast control cap. Just make sure the reel can move slightly, so I won't mess with that anymore.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
You'd be better off with 30 or 35lb straight through for the ground you're going to be fishing mate. Don't fill the spool right up (leave between 3-5mm of the spool showing), this will keep the reel spinning a bit slower when you cast as well.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you loose much distance. I've been told there is a gully out there about 70mtrs at low tide and I can hit past it with my fixed reel, but I know I'm not there yet with the Slosh so I need as much distance as I can get just now. I think when I attempt Usan distance isn't soo important and will prob go to a higher strength.

Still finding my feet on all this. Went out last month on one of the Arbroath boats and had the bad luck of catching 4 codling. I say bad luck because now im getting obsesed. But I want to do my fishing from shore. Theres soo much more knowledge you need from shore then on a charter, so when I finally do start landing fish I will have that pride, and know it wasn't just luck (But luck is always appreciated as well).

·
Registered
77 Posts
your local friendly shop that you bought it from should of helped you with the set up considering you are new to this type of reel. Fill with 20-30lb line and ensure slight lateral movement in the spool, cast it nice and slowly on a clean beach and go from there. Have a few sessions before giving yourself the heartache of rough ground with a reel you're not used to.

Best Regards.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd like to thank everyone for their input and feedback. I think I sorted myself out on todays session. Not sure how far I was casting but I was taking a far wack out of my spool today. Only annoying thing is I'm not exactly putting it in the direction I want. Everything is going to the Right so I'm guessing I'm letting the spool go too soon.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Just got an SL30SH. Pete_Glasgow gave me some tips on the real Like adding the Breaks which I didn't know to do.

Ive added the 2 red ones one on each pin so I think that is sorted.

My next question. When you have the cluch lever on Off so that the spool is free, and you spin it with your thumb how many rotations should it do? I know that can be adjusted with the cast control cap, I also know now u should mess with that unless you have the cluch lever off.

Right now I have mine so that if i spin it with my thumb it does about 8 rotations. Should it be more or less are am i barking mad and looking at this all wrong?
Hi matey - dont use the lateral tension cap to control the spool speed - there should be just barely perceptible sideways play - just so you can barely feel it 'snick' when you try to slide the spool along its spindle from side to side - otherwise you will do damage to you reel over time

rely on the brakes to control the spool - and if necessary you can slow it down further with a drop of thicker oil in the spool bearings only - but usually the red blocks are all you need

or better yet get it monomagged if its a metal (ally) spool

cheers

al

1 - 12 of 12 Posts