World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....please? i've had probs with my reel, found that my blocks were obliterated. changed them for black ones. i know they are medium and i could get the red ones. but my reel is running way to fast and birdying. i have had to tighten the end float, but there is no "play" in the reel because of this. surely getting different block isn't going to make a huge difference. do i need to do something with the bearings?? sorry to be a pest. and please no more suggestions about my casting not being smooth. my casting is the smoothest in wales...lol! (joke- but it's never caused me probs before.) thanks.
sw

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks yeahnah! just been to the shop to buy some lighter fluid, cadged some gear oil from my dad-in-law. i took about 30 yards of line off the reel. then cleaned the bearings and re-oiled with EP90. it's running smooth and fairly quick, but not birdying. might get some red blocks just to ease my fears.
thanks again for the help. especially being the only one! lol! best wishes.
sw

·
C.T.A.C
4,909 Posts
Hi mate -

With the spool float cap - althought it states in the manual that it's a form of braking, it shouldn't be used as such. A very small amount of lateral movement with the spool should always be the case (in all reels), bcoz you can damage certain things inside the reel.
Oil grade and brakeblocks (bb's) is what it's all about with sloshes, tho it's a reel that can be a pain in the jacksie, if it's set up for long distance fishing. If weather suddenly changes (as it does lol) to an, in your face blow when casting, it will unfortunately lead to birdies (can't exactly change bb's when fishing lol).
You've cleaned the bearings and added oil, try one red bb - followed by a small bb - assemble reel (not fully) and flick handle, followed by the freespool lever and see how long it runs for. If not satisfied with speed - add another red bb or another small bb depending on how satisfied/comfortable you are with it's speed.
As mentioned, underspooling by a few mm's will also help - not too much tho, this will take away some of the reels fast retrieve ratio when bait is casted out, bcoz you'll be left with a small amount of line diameter remaining on the spool if seriously underfilled.

Browny,

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great info. thanks browny.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts