World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up yesterday to calm conditions so decided to take advantage of the brief weather window and headed out to Culver Spit. Conditions inside the Solent were ok but once out of the shelter of the island there was a very heavy swell still coming through. This and the big tides made for difficult fishing conditions. Got the binoculars out and save for two trawlers it looked like I was the only fishing boat on the W side of the Nab. For good reason.

I have near continual bites but they were mostly suicidal whiting swallowing huge baits and hooks and even large brown crabs. Managed to get a few strap conger. Best being a couple of foot long.

Stopped off on the Bramble Bank on way in but same problems with small pout and whiting. And ridiculous amounts of weed and flotsom sweeping out of Southampton water and off the beaches.

Good to get out and enjoy some fresh air and charge the batteries on the boat if nothing else.

Roll on Spring.........

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Least you got out as you say bud, thanks for the report :)

Jim

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Yep, great that you got out Paul, wish someone had told the fish though.

Hoping to get out to clearer water on Weds :)

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
welldone for getting out and a few congers isnt too bad

·
Registered
11,733 Posts
I bet it was just nice to get out and enjoy the sea air, I'm looking forward to the new season and hope the weather behaves itself this Spring and Summer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i was out on sunday for a few hours in the morning, had a nice thornback and a few doggies but plenty of debri floating around

·
Registered
574 Posts
Nice one pal, some nice fish.
I'm itching to get out but unless I get a decent break in the weather I don't think the tow from luton will be worth it but roll on the summer

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Roy, I'd give it a few weeks and the plaice should be inshore off Pompey and Hayling. I hope so anyway!

·
Registered
9,539 Posts
Roy, I'd give it a few weeks and the plaice should be inshore off Pompey and Hayling. I hope so anyway!
The mussel beds that attract the plaice will probably have been churned to ****** by the storms, those are both shallow inshore marks that will have been right in front of the big wave action. We are all wondering where the place will be come late March. It may be time to try a few different places, preferably ones that didn't get smashed up in the storms.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
The mussel beds that attract the plaice will probably have been churned to ****** by the storms, those are both shallow inshore marks that will have been right in front of the big wave action. We are all wondering where the place will be come late March. It may be time to try a few different places, preferably ones that didn't get smashed up in the storms.
Most of them close in at Eastney were destroyed by pair trawlers a few years ago, the patches were few and far between so they may be gone entirely now....be interesting to see if the marks out of range from the beach still produce them though

Jim

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
There's been quite a few plaice netted where I fish so it's not all gloom and doom. As soon as it's settled were get out for a few.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Any chance Eastney slipway be cleared before weekend? looked the other day, a massive shingle bank on it from storms , weather looking promising for saturday.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Managed to get out myself and fished Bembridge Ledge. Same for us only small fish; Pout, Whiting, a few Dogs and one small Ray.
Was good to get out, never saw another fishing boat, just a few trawlers and some dick in a massive yacht who decided to wait until he was right on us to tack. How much sea do they need. Must of been the smell of the bacon sarnies that he was attracted to lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts