World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
have been thinking recently about getting a small boat for some summer inshore fishing and i know that i need some advice and guideance.
I am looking to mainly fish between Dover and Dymchurch on the south coast and off Folkestone where i live and at the moment have so many questions i don't quite know where to start.
I am only looking at a small boat as it will have to be kept in a garage when not in use as most mooring fees i have asked about seem quite high, as i am only looking to fish a few hundered yards ofshore what sort of length boat should i be looking at ? would 15 ft be o.k, and what safety equipment should i be looking at i think i should have lifevests and flares but what about a radio would a handheld be o.k and what about learning boat handling/safety and would i need insureance of somesort.
Well thats about it for now all help/advice gratefully recived.
Thanks Mouse.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Hi Mouse, I have PMd you about the safety items. A 15 footer is fine for inshore fishing in good weather. Easy size to store/launch, and not too costly to run either. You will need the same safety equipment as any other boat, as you can get in as much trouble close inshore as offshore. Insurance is optional, but I would strongly recommend it. If the worst happened and you accidently ran over a swimmer or collided with a very expensive boat you could be in for a big third party claim. Better to be covered. All the best. N

G

·
I think there is a club at Dymchurch with boat storage. As a member it would be a lot cheaper than mooring fees and no need to trail it anywhere.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys chaps, Cascars i will check out the dymchurch club if prices are not to steep i might be able to get a slightly larger boat as surely larger is safer?.
Mouse.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi Mouse
I have moved my boat out of Folkestone to Dover. If i remember right i believe it was about £75 per metre a year in Folkestone inner harbour with access 3hours either side of high water.
There are some good inshore marks that produce well.

jason

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
currently looking at a 14" aquajeep any advice or comments on these boats.
Mouse

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Hi Mouse, I am a member of the Varne Boat Club at Littlestone. It has launching vehicles, boat storage and great facilities and a friendly and active fishing section. I am willing to give you some pointers for local fishing and boating techniques, just PM me.
Check out
www.varneboatclub.co.uk/

John

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi mouse,

Not heard of the Aquajeep 14', but sounds fine for inshore fishing. Is is a rated hull for coastal waters? I would suggest the following safety equipment for fishing inshore:

- lifejackets (1 per person)
- anchor, chain and rope
- flare pack
- first aid kit
- basic tool kit and basic engine spares (plugs etc)
- VHF

I would recommend a fixed VHF for improved transmit/received range.

Feel free to look at our club website www.dymchurch-angling.co.uk for details of our facilities and fishing available in the waters local to Dymchurch. We have a very friendly crowd at Dymchurch with some excellent anglers who are always willing to help out. The beach is the best for beach launching locally with a good window of fishing time.

Feel free to email me on [email protected] for more details.

cheers

Tim

www.dymchurch-angling.co.uk

G

·
Check the boat is CE Category C.
This is what Tim means by rated for coastal waters.

Somewhere onboard will be a little (credit card sized) aluminium placque that says what her CE rating is (assuming she is post 1996? and most reputable manufacturers pre 1996).

Category C essentially means she is capable of venturing into coastal waters rather than simply rivers and very sheltered estuaries.
The technical description for category C is the she will be ok in (safe, but not comfortable), "Wave heights up to and including 2 metres and winds of force 6".

1 - 11 of 11 Posts