World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Me and a friend are considering buying a small 4 man (roughly) dinghy (with a small outboard) for some inshore fishing, we are both responsible people and would only ever use it inshore and never venture too far, but admittedly we have no real experience with small boating.

My question is do you need any sort of license to launch and use a small boat around the river/shores in the Medway area? Or could you just launch the boat from a suitable area, i.e. like a beach, like Hythe beach or Upnor beach near where i live for example?

Any comments / advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Will

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Hi all,

Me and a friend are considering buying a small 4 man (roughly) dinghy (with a small outboard) for some inshore fishing, we are both responsible people and would only ever use it inshore and never venture too far, but admittedly we have no real experience with small boating.

My question is do you need any sort of license to launch and use a small boat around the river/shores in the Medway area? Or could you just launch the boat from a suitable area, i.e. like a beach, like Hythe beach or Upnor beach near where i live for example?

Thanks,

Will
Hi mate ,get ya self on our sib club ,loads of sound advice,ill send you an invite ,no licence to lauch in the river medway,(fresh water well not sure)but the estury fine, remember with a VHF radio don t allways get a singnal with hand held only 5watt ,i don t when im out at minis bay ,500yrd out 12 to 20 ft of water,no tide run ,so mobile good backup ASWELL,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if you are thinking of the MEDWAY ,upnor ,,,,,,,some big tide rips through the medway so a good size H/P outboard needed ,along with backup oars,,,,,,,,,,,,,you will allso need ,life jacket ,flares ,rope ,anchor ,warp chain,christ the list goes on ,lots to think about BEFORE GOING ANYWHERE,,,,,,,chart of the area is handy,,,,,,,,plus i like to know what underneath me when im in the shallows,,so i have a fish finder to track me depth and contours of the seabed,,,,,,,,,still loads more ,not trying to put you off ,but so much safey has to come first

·
Registered
346 Posts
I used to own boats- ZARLIN is the name of my last one.
A small yacht that someone compared to "standing under a cold shower ripping up £5 notes"

As an ex navigation officer in the merchant marine I could preach safety, International regulations for prevention of collisions at sea, etc. but when it comes down to it 95% of speed boat and jet ski owners haven't got a clue.

As for water licences and use of slipways they normally come with a condition that you have public liabilty insurance so add around £100 a year for that.

Google the 'rules of the road' for water users and learn the basics, always get the local inshore weather forecast before going and keep a 'weather eye out' because even the latest forecast can me way out, wear life jackets or bouyancy aids at all times, have two means of propulsion (auxilary outboard or oars) have a good anchor and warp that will hold the boat firm in fast running rivers and creeks, extra rope, buy a hand held vhf radio (again you should take a one day course to get a licence) and always have binoculars, fog horn and a compass on board..........

Hang on! did I suggest I wasn't going to preach?

Sorry but common sense and pre-planning will mean you are prepared for most things.

Finally don't forget tackle, bait:fishing1: and refreshments:icecream:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Get a RYA course and you can try before you buy! and do it properly.

A must is a proper Radio, flares, life jackets. Consult the RNLI and read the webpage (loads of info and help)

thanet have slipways membership and good spots to fish from in small boats.

·
Registered
359 Posts
http://www.thanet.gov.uk/environment__planning/water_users_group/launching_facilities.aspx#15

and as i say just for interest if you dont get a boat a course is really great anyway.... lots of places local to you.

http://www.rya.org.uk/COURSESTRAINING/Pages/default.aspx

its expensive having any boat, can be dangerous too, sadly far to many people get hurt. so play it extra safe and ALWAYS extra safe.

Dont be put off, it can be so rewarding and very well worth the effort and money. Just do it right and as safe as you possibly can be and you'll enjoy it all the more.

Will

ps keep asking people in the boat forum and the few charters around here, book a trip on excel etc (dave)
pps very best of luck mate:victory:

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
hi all,

me and a friend are considering buying a small 4 man (roughly) dinghy (with a small outboard) for some inshore fishing, we are both responsible people and would only ever use it inshore and never venture too far, but admittedly we have no real experience with small boating.

My question is do you need any sort of license to launch and use a small boat around the river/shores in the medway area? Or could you just launch the boat from a suitable area, i.e. Like a beach, like hythe beach or upnor beach near where i live for example?

Thanks,

will
soory did nt realise you ment dinghy ,,,,,,,,,,got inpression of a sib you wanted,,,,,still good advice givern as above by all

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
You will need a VHf licence and a certificate to use it from the RYA, to get the certificate you have to do a one day dourse to learn how to use the radio correctly. It is advisable to take at least the level 1 powerboat course and don't be fooled into thinking that because you are not going out very far and only in estuaries that you will be safe, the most dangerous rip tides and currents are all close to the shore and in river mouths.
Remember the sea takes no prisoners and deserves a lot of respect, get some experience first.

·
Registered
26,858 Posts
I was once told that there were only two really happy days with a boat: the day you buy it and the day you sell it!!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your quick responses, very informative and i have taken all that was said on board. It is a lot more involved than i expected, even for just a small dinghy, but i understand the sea does not care what you are in, so very glad i asked on here, knew i would get great answers from you guys.

I think me and my friend will sit down and have a chat and take it from there.

Thanks again,

Will

1 - 11 of 11 Posts