World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Me and a friend are considering buying a small 4 man (roughly) dinghy (with a small outboard) for some inshore fishing, we are both responsible people and would only ever use it inshore and never venture too far, but admittedly we have no real experience with small boating.

My question is do you need any sort of license to launch and use a small boat around the river/shores in the Medway area? Or could you just launch the boat from a suitable area, i.e. like a beach, like Hythe beach or Upnor beach near where i live for example?

Any comments / advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Will

·
Registered
290 Posts
No licence required. However, some launch sites require youto have insurance. There are also harbour dues in some areas.

If you buy a small dinghy, you need to be very appreciative of the weather/sea conditions depending where you are. Some beach areas are very difficult to land on in some conditions and states of tide.

I have a 14ft boat, but tend to launch from places such as Shoreham, if I missjudged the changing weather, I dont have to try to land in a big sea, just motor up the river and land in flat calm conditions.

I also have a fishing kayak, these are excelent if you want to go boat fishing on the cheap (relatively). These do need even more respect though.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your responses guys, all things i will take in to consideration in making my decision.

Tight lines :fish:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts