World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,

I was hoping someone could help me out with some tips about getting the boat.
I moved to Southampton few weeks ago, and as I always liked lure fishing, I'm trying to pick up sea lure fishing (so far failing miserably).
I was thinking about getting myself afloat, the problem is I'm renting a flat, therefore I don't have the space to keep boat/pontoon.
I called some marinas and looked online, but the lowest quote I got was around 2000£/year, which is ridicilous (I was thinking about boat for like 400-500£).

Is there any other way of getting it cheaper? Any place to reccomend?
Also probably a stupid question, but do I need any licence to use the boat ?

Thanks,
M.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Not for the sea no, although doing at the very least the RYA powerboat level 2 course will stand you in good stead. It can be done over a weekend and is a good introduction to boating.

The only licence you will need is a VHF licence, again obtainable via RYA courses.

I am on a mooring in portsmouth, langstone harbour. It dries at low tide which means i either have a quick session 1-2hrs only, or am out for 12 hrs each time. Mooring fees are approx £150 a year, so it is possible. a deep water (always afloat) mooring is £600-700 per year.
You will of course need a rowing boat to get to a boat on a mooring, but most authorities allow you to lock up a rowing boat on the foreshore so again, just equipment to store and transport.
Around soton and portsmouth you can also rent a garage from the council for approx £650 a year, i managed to fit a 14.5ft boat and trailer in a normal sized garage, and possibly could have gotten a 16ft boat in, just.

You will need alot of extra kit, safety stuff mainly which eats into a budget. There are plenty of people on here from portsmouth/southampton area who have boats who you could ask for a trip and would happily oblige.
Or use your own boat of course 😇

·
Registered
591 Posts
Another option is to join a club with a compound for boats. Elmore Angling Club Lee on Solent would be one option. It used to be £50 per year to store a boat there and they have their own slipway. Go and take a look at the type of boats members use. The only problem is you cannot leave an engine on the boat.

·
Registered
4,351 Posts
I've thought about getting a small day craft as a do-upper project and I live in a flat as well, I do have something that is covered by the rent and that is secure private off road parking at the rear. I could park the boat up on a trailer but I'd need to put some security onto it and a camera facing it over the balcony. If your apartment block has the same check the lease about parking rights.

If you have the same as myself it's just a matter of paying for an available slip way per launch, or indeed an inflatable. I know some hate them but I have it good authority from a hardened out door living Alaskan the Intex mariner 3 is decent for inshore recreational but best to have a folding ply wood floor made for it. Local hardware store 3mm plywood and some piano hinges would suit.

Easy for me to say, I have a large balcony 1/4 an acre of parking out the rear and 3 balcony mini sheds plus space under the rear fire escape/stairs to put an inflatable in a locker and I have a car. Added up: it's getting full use+ securing it the space to work on it and storage. It's a lot to consider and I'm still considering it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for replies guys.
@Lady Half Pint
The thing is that for me having a boat (Never had one before!) and being limited on it's use is kind of pointless. Probably after a while I will not use it so often, but still I'd like to make use of it when I can. Thank you very much for pointing out the licence thing - I wasn't sure it's needed at all.
@gordmac
I'm thinking about inflatable, matter of fact I spent like 2 hours today reading about inflatable kayaks and stuff. The problem is that I don't have a way of storing an engine, and I'm not certainly sure how far I'd be able to swim with inflatable before I will run out of muscle power...
@nab raider
That would be something in the price range I'd be happy to pay. There's still the engine thing, maybe I could get an electric one, I've been told they are lighter (not sure if it would be strong enough). I will have a look at those angling clubs though, thanks!
@attackofthehamsters
Sadly this is not an option. I have a parking spot with my flat, but it's on the other side of the building so there's no chance of having an eye on it. I spoke with some guy from kayak store today and he was claiming that he was fishing quite enjoyable at sea from his kayak (not inflatable), maybe if I could get some garage/other place to leave it safely that would be the best bet...

The main issue I'm having right now is that I've been trying to pick up lure fishing after few years and sadly all spots I've visited at shore have been giving me blanks. I spoke with some lads at shore, but they all were fishing with bait, and all of them (different people, different spots) said that they haven't seen anyone lure fishing from shore in the area. Not sure if that's true, and is it caused by the time of season, or just simply people don't bother fishing from shore with lures anymore...

·
Registered
19,274 Posts
Been there, done that.... and it isn't cheap when you get engines and the like involved.
Kayaking is not to be sneezed at for stealthiness of presence, but you will need to be hugely aware of the safety considerations involved.
If the sea can kill you, it always will.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Mr Badger
I know. I'd feel more comfortable in pontoon, but then I'm quite sure it's not possible to paddle around...
What would you recommend then?

·
Registered
19,274 Posts
@Mr Badger
I know. I'd feel more comfortable in pontoon, but then I'm quite sure it's not possible to paddle around...
What would you recommend then?
I'd mainly recommend treating the water with the utmost caution.
Get out with a few other people who know what they are doing first of all.
The sea is an utterly unforgiving environment, and any mistake is quite likely to be your last.

Reactions: cfish

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Good evening,

I was hoping someone could help me out with some tips about getting the boat.
I moved to Southampton few weeks ago, and as I always liked lure fishing, I'm trying to pick up sea lure fishing (so far failing miserably).
I was thinking about getting myself afloat, the problem is I'm renting a flat, therefore I don't have the space to keep boat/pontoon.
I called some marinas and looked online, but the lowest quote I got was around 2000£/year, which is ridicilous (I was thinking about boat for like 400-500£).

Is there any other way of getting it cheaper? Any place to reccomend?
Also probably a stupid question, but do I need any licence to use the boat ?

Thanks,
M.
Boating is a great pass time but you are now realising that this particular dream isn't the cheapest. 🙃🙃

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Boating is a great pass time but you are now realising that this particular dream isn't the cheapest. 🙃🙃
Still, as long as 'er indoors doesn't find out how much its costing her, you shouldbe safe!!!

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Its not just buying a boat and keeping it somewhere, the bills never stop once you have one, so make sure you have the means to keep up with it all. Often a cheap older boat is cheap for a reason, don't expect to find a safe good handling boat at a low price. Also get both the boat and engine checked before you part with the cash, many older boats have rot in the timber under the fibreglass from the stringers to the transom. Security can be an issue when owning a boat as can exposure to bad weather, so insurance and a decent bilge pump and good battery (possible topped up by solar fro when you are in lockdowns etc).

Have you considered simply doing charter trips for a while simply to get a feel for being on boats. You could also ask on your local Facebook sites to find out if anyone has a boat you could head out on with the offer of paying for the fuel etc.

I would be interested to hear what sort of spin gear you are using and how it performs for you. You might be better off investing in new spin gear with light quality braid, mono leaders and some high end lures (far cheaper than buying a boat). Simply dropping down to light braid of around 10lb or less will greatly improve casting range over braids of 20lb. Also staying with light leaders and the appropriate lure knots to allow them to swim with good action. Don't skimp on lures, buy proven quality makes that are known catch fish and have a range of metals and hardbodies.

You may want to look further afield for areas that do work well for lure fishing. Perhaps someone could PM you a few spots to try, or have a look at google earth to find promising looking features around the coast that might work for lure fishing. I had no end of areas that worked well for lures when I lived on the IOW.

I lure fish all the time, from rivers, shore and boat, even on game fish. None of it comes easy but when you start learning your target species habits it suddenly starts falling into place.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
I'd mainly recommend treating the water with the utmost caution.
Get out with a few other people who know what they are doing first of all.
The sea is an utterly unforgiving environment, and any mistake is quite likely to be your last.

Gee's you are scaring me!!!...its also a heap of fun and issues are rare if you have a little common sense.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
Better safe than dead.....
Its funny as there was a show on tv here (UK show) only a few days ago talking about how ridiculous boating Safety is, or should I say is in the UK. You can simply buy a boat and head to sea without any knowledge or training what so ever. You aren't obliged to carry any safety gear, including lifejackets. It really takes some believing but then when you see the state of what's going on around the UK waters its not surprising at all. I had my my first boat when I was 12 years old and fished the solent and Needles area in all kinds of conditions, now 55 years old Ive still yet to have a problem I couldn't fix at sea.

Better being safe than dead!!!!...as I mentioned a little common sense goes a long way. Driving in a car to the water is just as dangerous.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
It’s actually not anywhere near as bad as that sounds - the actual cases of the RNLI rescuing people doing really stupid things in boats is quite low, and the RYA have said they believe safety standards are higher when they’re voluntary - I think the idea is that when things are compulsory people tend to get the minimum to comply, yet when things are voluntary, people look into what’s on the market and go for the best they can afford - hence we have life jackets like the top of the range crewsaver, spin lock etc (which are in a different league to what they have in the US for instance - don’t know how they compare to what’s on the market in AUS), people go for good VHFs etc (we don’t need to carry a vhf, yet almost everyone does) - lots also do the RYA courses, and, after getting a taste, go on to do the more advanced courses - compare that for instance how many bother to do an advanced driving test once they’ve passed the compulsory one.
A bit like teenagers - we don’t like being told what to do, but leave us to our own devices and we’ll do it anyway!

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
It’s actually not anywhere near as bad as that sounds - the actual cases of the RNLI rescuing people doing really stupid things in boats is quite low, and the RYA have said they believe safety standards are higher when they’re voluntary - I think the idea is that when things are compulsory people tend to get the minimum to comply, yet when things are voluntary, people look into what’s on the market and go for the best they can afford - hence we have life jackets like the top of the range crewsaver, spin lock etc (which are in a different league to what they have in the US for instance - don’t know how they compare to what’s on the market in AUS), people go for good VHFs etc (we don’t need to carry a vhf, yet almost everyone does) - lots also do the RYA courses, and, after getting a taste, go on to do the more advanced courses - compare that for instance how many bother to do an advanced driving test once they’ve passed the compulsory one.
A bit like teenagers - we don’t like being told what to do, but leave us to our own devices and we’ll do it anyway!

Getting anything passed by Au standards is a nightmare and everything needs to have those standards. Things like self inflating lifejackets not only need to meet extremely high standards but they also need inspecting and testing every 12 months which costs around the same as a new pfd ( lifejacket). I tend to stick with foam filled solas standards ( international comercial ) buoyancy aids. We don't have to replace our flares untill they reach 2 years old but as you know, here we need to be licensed and registered and also have an extremely high boating community. Even our trailers undergo the equivalent of a 12 month mot and so they should if used on public roads. Relying on people do the right thing is quite frankly a joke. You seem to forget I did live in the U.K. and owned many boats and still have boating family living there from comercial background to volunteer rescue.

I tried to find anything to confirm what you mention the RNLI state about safety equipment with no success, maybe you can get a statement from them so boaters can see they don't support compulsory safety equipment. I also ran it by family friends from the Yarmouth lifeboat ( two generations of family ) who thought I was bonkers for asking. I'm surprised you have to take vehicle driving licences or wear seat belts etc going on what you say the RNLI are stating.

Just had a quick look at buoyancy aids available at one of the boat stores I use Lifejackets

Also compared with a UK boat store Marine Safety Supplies & Boat Safety Equipment UK

You mention PDFs such as spin lock but just like the fireproof $1400 solas pfds, most people simple don't need them. As for crewsaver jackets, this is what I bought for my son in auto inflate which is now out of date and needing a manufacturer service.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
I tried to find anything to confirm what you mention the RNLI state about safety equipment with no success, maybe you can get a statement from them so boaters can see they don't support compulsory safety equipment. I also ran it by family friends from the Yarmouth lifeboat ( two generations of family ) who thought I was bonkers for asking. I'm surprised you have to take vehicle driving licences or wear seat belts etc going on what you say the RNLI are stating.
RYA not RNLI - I think it was something where one of their guys was being interviewed in a boat mag, so you probably won't find it, but it makes sense to me - for the most part UK boats are well equipped with safety gear - you only have to look on forums where people are constantly asking to recommendations for the best lifejackets, the best PLBs etc - The RNLI has a scheme where they will visit your boat (free of charge) to run through the safety equipment - you have to invite them and it's not an inspection, more of a chat about what you could carry taking into account the boat at the kind of use etc. It's excellent and very worthwhile.

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
RYA not RNLI - I think it was something where one of their guys was being interviewed in a boat mag, so you probably won't find it, but it makes sense to me - for the most part UK boats are well equipped with safety gear - you only have to look on forums where people are constantly asking to recommendations for the best lifejackets, the best PLBs etc - The RNLI has a scheme where they will visit your boat (free of charge) to run through the safety equipment - you have to invite them and it's not an inspection, more of a chat about what you could carry taking into account the boat at the kind of use etc. It's excellent and very worthwhile.

We unfortunately have a heavy handed authority on the water where we are boarded by maritime officers, water police and fisheries, fisheries have more authority over all of them. We are regularly breath tested just like car driving etc. Ive been on boats in the UK where people became so drunk they were totally pains in the arse endangering everyone. I saw one guy drown on a charter from drinking to much, he was asked by the skipper to stop drinking on several occasions but continued until he fell overboard. Members of the small charter grabbed him but he was so overweight he hung upside down with his head underwater as we struggled to get him back into the boat, none of us new car back then, I was eleven at the time and remember it like it happened yesterday.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
We can get boarded by fisheries - I’ve only ever had them come alongside for a friendly chat (and could hear a mate fishing about 50m away shouting, “Book him Dano!”)
Unlikely to caught caught drinking, but the consequences are huge if you were in an incident - but again I don’t see it as being a big problem here - I don’t go charter fishing often, but when I have, I’ve never seen anyone open a beer - for all I know the skippers may not allow it.
I’d rather have our freedoms and self regulate - although compared to the US our boating community is tiny, we seem to have a much lower proportion of boating accidents and particularly fatalities than they do, and generally I’d say UK boaters are a pretty safe bunch (compared to what I’ve seen in Southern Europe - even though most counties have loads more regs than we do - and the US. The one time I’ve been to AUS, unfortunately I didn’t manage to get up close and personal with any boating locations).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts