World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody had any luck with the new smartbait peel o crab sticks?

I have tried these off the beach and the pier, with no luck. Just thought that I would see if anybody has had any success with them . . . .

Bernie

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
This is a good topic.

As well as the peel o crab. Can anybody share their views on any bait additives, pre-prepared, modified, other "magic baits" or even some secret recipe of your own?

I have seen such things as Ultrabite, Fish n strips, and some weird and wonderful stuff advertised on Ebay.

Thoughts everyone?

·
Registered
281 Posts
hi.

i've had varying success with crab flavoured fish n strips. had a few whiting and a red gurnad on it, but was outfished by others using standard bait.

its just nice to have a few strips in the tackle box just in case bait starts to run out too early.

M

·
0 Posts
I have had pretty decent results with the fish n strips crab flavour and the worm ones. i was fishing in Norfolk on thursday 30th and struggling for bites. I added a worm strip to one of the three hooks and had a nice dab immediately this was on the middle hook in between two hooks baited with fresh lug. I continued to catch more fish on the fish n strip,more than on the two worm hooks.I think they are a great thing to have with you as a change bait if not only them.
cheers Karl

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Experimented/experimenting a great deal as I blank so often and need an edge! If the carp brigade swear by 'additives' then why should sea fish be any different. We're talking about 'attractants'. The sea shore is a BIG place (oh for a BIG PLAICE!) and so, I think, there is a need to set up a scent trail for fish to find and swim along. When even 'little boys' dogs' are catching, i.e. there's a big shoal in all competing (a feeding frenzy?) then it doesn't seem to matter much what bait we use does it! However when times are hard and you are contemplating selling the tackle and taking up golf then you have to think a little bit (in my opinion)

The Fish and Strips series seems to catch (even on their own!) I find the newish Worm one best AND IT DISSOLVES QUICKEST! (Is this a clue I ask myself? Sad I know but I seem to talk to myself a lot when fishing!) I'm using a mixture of Sardine oil and Ultrabite at the moment sometimes mixed with sea crustacean groundbait in a feeder (also in PVA bags!) They all work really well ..... as long as you don't mind attracting Dogfish - I seem to be able to bring them on the feed at will. I start fishing without then switch, and bang they are there!

One contributor from Mid-Wales considers that most groundbaits attract Doggies (lovely things) and won't use it for that reason. So far (6 months) that's my experience anyway. There was a Total Sea Fishing article about Fish'n'Strips down on the beach in Lowestoft. Tackle Exchange (one of those great Tackle shops, use it if your there!) took on the magazine JUST using the artificial, and beat the 'real' stuff!

Mind you the ultimate accolade will be when the Match boys start using it, ...... OPENLY that is!!!!!!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
i havent tried the worm one myself, but the crab works extremely well with flatties. i think it may be something to do with the colour... we use beads to attract them so why not luminous green snot!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
The real test is to use it at night, i.e. when the fish can't SEE it. As I understand it it's the smell that's important. However as I read the 'literature' I discover TWO threads of thought emerging.

1. The obvious (?) one that a scent trail is put down tide and the fish swim up it
2. That 'atttractants' simply mean that fish will not drop/spit out your bait immediately but hang on to it for up to 5 seconds, giving you more time to strike!

Seems to make sense (both actually) but the latter definitely as I've had fish really 'worry' cotton wool soaked in 'the mixture' and shred it to bits if I don't strike, whereas 'old' bits which have gone white after 15 mins in the sea are justifiably ignored!

I'm still reading (put 'fish attractants' into google and just see what you get!!!!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts