World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well to start off with I haven't been out practicing as much as I would like too lately, as living in the outskirts of London there's no where to go because as soon as it warms up, every body is out on the fields and commons. You can't even cast in the Thames most of the time because of all the "pass byers". Anyway I thought I would stay up late and go up my local field very early.

So I got to the field at 4:45am just as it was getting light, and I had the place to myself :yahoo: I decide to use a 6oz lead (170g) and a bit of blu-tack behind the lead to imitate a bait (all my rigs for fishing are single baits clipped down). My previous best cast doing this was 136yds and that was with the wind behind me (Ive always aimed for 140yds)

Well this morning I decided to use a slightly different type of Aerial ground cast which I have seen quite a few match fisherman use. Well to cut a long story short my best cast today was 150yds with most averaging between 140-145yds and I didn't have any wind behind me as there was none this morning.

Here's a short video from this morning, this cast was 144yds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlaxu2ZbpWA

and here's a picture of my bait imitaion

Then I packed up at 6:30am and came home and went to bed!
Elliot

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
there is only one thing i will get up for at 4.45am and it involves using a totally different rod lol

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
there is only one thing i will get up for at 4.45am and it involves using a totally different rod lol
:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
I didn't get up though, I just stayed up untill that time, being on holiday I have got into the pattern of sleeping all day and being up all night:crazy::crazy:
Elliot

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
well done Elliot
glad to see your going in the right direction, i think you should go back to your original style, that looked a bit uncomfortable compared to previous vids i have seen of you, have you changed your rod?
Steve.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Best way to imitate a baited fishing rig is to use a sinker with wires on (looks like a plain one there), and a complete rig with hooks, swivels, links and snood before adding a pretend bait.

The wires on the lead alone will take yards off.

I use a similar version of an aerial ground cast I use around an 8ft drop, I start with less rotation than you swinging the lead away like a pendulum about 11 o'clock (with 12 o'clock being facing the back of the beach), then as the weight comes back the rod is brought round to about 1 - 2 o'clock but not allowed to drift back further. Once the lead is in position approx the height of the tip and everthing feels right I begin the cast by getting the tip low and coming around in a flatish arc.

Very much like this cast at 1min50sec into this clip.
http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Sea-Angl...ackle-tests/Alan-Yates-on-storing-beach-rigs/

Probably my favourite fishing cast, and easy to perform in windy conditions, and with a flatter arc useful in a headwind.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well done Elliot
glad to see your going in the right direction, i think you should go back to your original style, that looked a bit uncomfortable compared to previous vids i have seen of you, have you changed your rod?
Steve.
Hi Steve
I’ve had the HSM now for 3 months (my rod before was a Daiwa STS13PM, but i do prefer the HSM as it's got a more responsive tip). The cast I was doing above can uncomfortable if you try bringing the rod round too fast or hitting it too early (this is what I tried doing in the video by the looks of it)

As I start with the rod pointing at about 7 "o" clock (the direction I'm casting is 12 "o" clock). Then I swing the lead to the left so it’s 90 degrees to the tip, then back to the right so it's 90 degrees to the tip again so the lead reaches shoulder height then I start the cast. But using this cast does load the tip section of the rod strait away which is why I need to slow down a little and hit it later.

But I think I will stick with this cast for fishing as it has given me the best distances on the field so far using blu-tack behind the lead. As I like using a cast is simple yet powerfull cast which will put baits good distances.

What do you mean by my original style? are you on about my cast which was like an aerailised easy cast or the low swing pendulum which I put in the thread "me Xcasting" when I first started the pendulum over a year ago now I started with the High swing and then went to the low swing, but I have recently started using the high swing again and it's going well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJAGG2vYtHM
I only use the high swing on the field though just going for distance, also I'm going to go along to kent sport cast at somepoint aswell :)
Cheers
Elliot

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi DonBobo,
yes I was using a just a plain lead, this was just to give my a rough idea. My best was 150yds so I reckon a good cast with a real baited trace I should be able to hit 140yds.

Cheers for the video of Alan Yates casting, I like using aerialised ground casts exactly for the reasons you have mentioned, easy to use when fishing when wearing all your kit, can perform the cast just as well in windy conditions and it works well fishing shelving beaches IE dungeness and I have found the timming of the cast is not as important as the pendulum which is a big help on the beach. But most of the time when on the field I use the high swing pendulum, but never fishing.
Cheers
Elliot

1 - 8 of 8 Posts