World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

What do you use to get rid of the fishy smell on your hands after an outing or at home when you fillet your fish?

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hi Mate,

I thought that lemon juice was menna be quite good..Get one a give it a squeeze on your hands after a wash..sure this works mate!!
Let me know....

·
Registered
54 Posts
Oh no - another bit of useless info!
Look out for one of those metal 'bars of soap' type thingy's (ask the lady of the household, she'll probably know what you're after) they work a treat!! Hmmm lovely. ;)

·
Registered
282 Posts
i seen a type of metel bar which is supposed to nutralize the oder (like a bar of soap) and similar in size might have been in sea angler not sure has anyone tried 1 of these ?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Folks,

I bought one of those stainless steel bars from QVC, I sent it back because it was useless.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Drew being a "careful" person did you send it back because it didn't lather? ha ha ha?
To get rid of the "fish fingers" smell, put some bi-carbonate of soda in the washing bowl instead of soap, it also works on the carpet in the boot, when you have left bait in there for days on end. Believe me, I'm old, I know all these useful things!
blueskip

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
first things first dont wash hands in hot water as it cooks the fish oils. Wash hands with soap as normal and then wash hands with shaving foam and then rinse hands, it gives your hands a nice sented smell lol.

hopes this help,
kelvin

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've tried everything. Salt, Lemons, Washing powder, vinegar,Bicarb, Ive taken bottles of washing liquid with me when i go fishing. And i have used only one thing that works. My wife always moaned that the car stunk of fish the morning after a fishing trip. Then I saw in sea angler a post for clean and dry from superdrug. The worst bit is going into superdrug and asking for clean and dry, and telling them its to get rid of the fishy smell on your hands after a night on the beach!!!! But belive me it works. its an alcohol based cleaner so you just put a drop on your hands and rub it in and bingo it evaporates. Ive had my hands stinking of cod guts wiped them on a rag, used clean and dry, then driven home and the wife never smelt a thing on the steering wheel. i never go fishing without it now

·
Registered
423 Posts
hi
i use 2 lemons.
lemon 1 - when i get home and just cut it in half the squeeze all the juice out onto my hands then cleans them.

lemon 2 - after i go fishing i always have a bath so i cut a lemon into 4 pieces the i squeeze 2 bits into the water and the other 2 bits i let float around in the bath
beefcake

F

·
0 Posts
I always use Dove hand cleanser. It seems to drag out any dirt and smell from your hands and of course leaaves them soft and lovely. ;)

But seriously i use this when i come in from work as my hands get dirty and smelly from the aircraft and oils so i have found it to be the best and kindest thing to clean my hands with thus far.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
A simple way of removing the fish smell is to use a hand cleaner from an auto accessories outlet , just get one with a citrus addative and this should do the trick.

Regards

F

·
0 Posts
Jeremy Schrader said:
A simple way of removing the fish smell is to use a hand cleaner from an auto accessories outlet
We have those type of products in our work and they aint the kindest product to use for your hands. Some are quite abrasive.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hang on Drew...

You mean that you've actually been catching fish mate......!!

·
Registered
320 Posts
i recomend that you use a good barrier cream then the fish oil ,bait cant penetrate a quick swill and hands are clean

doogle

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I'm starting to get severely concerned about some of you lot, & the things you stick on your hands! It sounds as if you are preparing to go on a hen night instead of washing your hands after you have been fishing?

F

·
0 Posts
doogle said:
i recomend that you use a good barrier cream then the fish oil ,bait cant penetrate a quick swill and hands are clean
Just make sure you get it all rubbed into your hands though or you aint able to hold anything.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You don't get smelly hands in the first place ,you wear latex gloves whilst baiting and un-hooking fish if your lucky i'm a gynaecologist so I know hee hee

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Look, you don't have to start a thread like this in order to tell us that you've caught fish and (rub it in why don't you!) that they were big enough to FILET!!

Whatever you do DON'T use a barrier cream unless it contains ULTRABITE, or you've got someone else to bait up for you! (Mind you perhaps there are barrier creams that really do attract fish) We've been told about SILENE, that dreaded human anti-fish odour that we all produce (I suppose Southies are human??) but it seems that anything odd smelling might bring on an attack of the blanks (whatever that is!)

Those with tender hands might use, or perish the thought, ENJOY, the touch of LATEX!

Otherwise, start the cleansing process before you leave the beach by rubbing your hands in the water with some sand. Nicely abrasive it will pull off the ingrained fish/bait smell along with a couple of layers of skin cells. If like me you fish near nice STINKING BLACK OOZING MUD, use that. Not as good as sand but the smell will mask anything! (Knew a bloke who did this after he'd been with another woman. When he told his wife the truth, she said, "Lies all lies, you've been bl**dy fishing again, haven't you?")

Seriously, if its only the smell of fish after filleting at home then straightforward scrubbing with soap (I crave for carbolic, though Pears takes me back!) Actually I never have the problem as I return everything (how many Browny points for that one?)

When we take her mother away for a holiday (always by the sea, by the way, funny that) I always sprinkle Ultrabite liberally under her seat in the car. Makes a great talking point!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts