World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again everyone,

Thanks for the advice I received on my first post it was very welcoming. Now, I've come with a plan to catch a bloody fish down in Barry Docks before I head off to uni at the end of Sept, but I need your advice. I've caught a lot of smelt down in the docks and was wondering if it's any good to freeze them or even use them cut up fresh and hook them on a float? I am running out of ideas for that place but I am very determined to catch something down there. Nothing to lose, right?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts

Hi Jack. Out of interest and I'm not doubting you. Which of the two fish above are you catching.
My answer to you question is the same whichever one.

Yes they are good for freezing but I would hook one on a large hook still alive under a sliding float or even on a running ledger. Especially if your fishing down there in the evening and into the dark.
Dont cast them, just swing them out. Set your drag quite light and don't walk away from your rod.
Good luck and hope you get a decent fish, let us know.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
View attachment 1296829 View attachment 1296831
Hi Jack. Out of interest and I'm not doubting you. Which of the two fish above are you catching.
My answer to you question is the same whichever one.

Yes they are good for freezing but I would hook one on a large hook still alive under a sliding float or even on a running ledger. Especially if your fishing down there in the evening and into the dark.
Dont cast them, just swing them out. Set your drag quite light and don't walk away from your rod.
Good luck and hope you get a decent fish, let us know.
Thank you Notso, the fish I was catching look like the fish on the left. I'll definitely give it a go now with the smelts. Cheers mate and tight lines

Also, is it recommended to gut the fish before freezing?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Just bare in mind you are fishing an aquarium with pretty much everything in there. As Notso said worth a try with live smelt, I think you will have a better chance fishing after dark.
Tie your rod to the railings :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just bare in mind you are fishing an aquarium with pretty much everything in there. As Notso said worth a try with live smelt, I think you will have a better chance fishing after dark.
Tie your rod to the railings :D
Thanks for your reply z42, I will definitely try with live smelt. How do you hook a smelt as live bait? Also, if I am taking to freeze, should I gut them before freezing? cheers

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Not sure with a smelt tbh bud but if it was a small joey I would put the hook in its mouth and hook point out by the nostrils, live sandeel I put a circle hook through the eye sockets.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Freeze whole. When you use them every bit of scent is then released.
Hook them through the nostrils with either a J or circle hook.
Tying you rod is a good idea so long as you make sure the line can run free and you can untie it quickly

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Use the elastic band method. Put the elastic band around the drum (only works with a fixed spool) .Cast out. Leave the bale arm open move band over the spool technically trapping the line. But if you get a strong run it will take the line off the reel. drop the bale arm and reel in normally
You can also use this method on the beach if you are fishing a gulley or feature that you find at low water. Only difference is you can leave the band on the spool after you have measured the distant between gully and fishing. Cast as normal and in theory when you hit the band you will be over the gulley. As the tide comes in before moving slip the band off the spool move back to where you want to be and replace the band. Should land in your gulley every time.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Freeze whole. When you use them every bit of scent is then released.
Hook them through the nostrils with either a J or circle hook.
Tying you rod is a good idea so long as you make sure the line can run free and you can untie it quickly
Thanks a lot, I will update you all tomorrow if I end up getting some because you just never know with that place :BigGrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.