World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes the spur of the moment venue turns out a better choice, than the one you have been planning for ages. My wife hasn't been well, and gone to bed early. Seen an opportunity to catch a few hours , got permission, knew it had to be close in case I needed to get home, so decided on Knab rock.
When I got there, it was a magical night with a few fluffy white clouds skipping across a star lite night. The wind was a North Westerly, a little stronger than it appeared judging by the speed the clouds were drifting across the sky.
I fished two rods one with a 4/0 pennel loaded with crab at about 80-90 yards, the second with a 3/0 pennel ledger fished short about 30-40 yards. I had a bite on the first cast, rattly sort could have been a small bass.
I was baiting up my shot range rod when I heard the ratchet click a few times and then a short run, jumping up waited to feel a fish and struck, felt the weight of the fish straight away and after a fun fight landed this little beauty nearly 4 lbs.
[/IMG]

Re baited cast out, and over the next 30 Min's had quite a few small runs all of which I failed to connect with. Started to take a little more care with bait presentation, ensuring that I had my hook clear and honed the hooks. At about 11 40 the ratchet sounded the attention of a fish struck and felt a fish start to run, the fish felt heavier than the first and certainly a little more athletic. After a good fight lasting a couple of minutes my second hound was on the Knab weighing just over 5 lbs.
[/IMG]

Had a few more runs again I failed to hook up still don't know why. All went quite for a hour or two_On the last two cast I fished the both rods long. I was sitting down packing up one of my rods when I glanced up to see my bass rod bending over in serious curve. I jumped up and grabbed it before it took off out of the stand. I struck and my bass rod took on a serious curve, this one seemed huge as the bass rod bent over into its fighting curve, after a much longer extended fight I had it in close enough to see it. Must admit I was a bit disappointed when I saw it as I thought it was a monster. When I weighed it took the scales over to 5 3/4 lbs. No photo of this one, it was 10 past 2 in the morning and I needed to get home . I was hoping for a bass but thoroughly enjoyed the evening, it was just good to get out of the house.

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Great report Brian, well done m8 :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
well done brian cracking session. good report and pic's mate :victory::victory:

·
Registered
201 Posts
well done mate cracking sesh you had there :victory:

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
well done bud nice couple of smutties there m8 cracking report and photo`s tight`uns

·
Insane Poster
2,852 Posts
Nice one Brian, cracking report, sesh and pics,, Tight 'uns, Marc..:bones::victory::bones:

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks
Any body got ant theories about the missed runs, or is this common with smoothhounds. I have only caught the odd smut, never had a marauding gang of them in front of me feeding before.

·
Premium Member
39,125 Posts
Thanks
Any body got ant theories about the missed runs, or is this common with smoothhounds. I have only caught the odd smut, never had a marauding gang of them in front of me feeding before.
I only use a circle hook clip down and as you say making sure the barb is in the clear, but for the life of me can't see why it should make a difference. I have all ways found put a crab any where near a smut and it is fish on, they must have been feeling picky.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Sometimes the spur of the moment venue turns out a better choice, than the one you have been planning for ages. My wife hasn't been well, and gone to bed early. Seen an opportunity to catch a few hours , got permission, knew it had to be close in case I needed to get home, so decided on Knab rock..
Nice one bian. I looked out the window last night and it has gone all clear and there was half a moon. I would have gone myself except for work. GWS for the misses.

Si

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Nice one mate, a couple of crackers ! :clap3:

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Great session Brian, well done:fishing:

·
Insane Poster
2,852 Posts
Thanks
They're pretty common i think Bri', i had about 15-20 missed runs this year, i was even gaining on a few, which then just spat the hook, even had a few straighten out my hooks, which hadn't been a problem in the past, but as far as a theory?, no sorry mate, haven't got a clue, :sad: but it does get a bit hectic when they really come on the feed doesn't it??? great fun though,, Marc..

·
Registered
8,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Certainly does get hectic Marc the second rod was virtually forgotten about for an hour. I don't think many hounds come off the Knab because crab isn't a first choice bait there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.