World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of any smoothound being caught or is it too early?

I caught one of 12lb last august from Barry (fought like hell) and I have set myself a mission to target them down aberthaw this year with the hope of catching another good 'un.

would it be worth going down in the next few weeks? :confused:

Any help welcome :rolleyes:

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i thought but I ain't really sure when they come in, cos until last year I weren't really interested. As soon as i got one though I thought gotta try for them

·
Registered
737 Posts
heard that a few of the boats have started to catch a few .so they wont be long. try nash area first with crab.

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the advice guys I think I may leave it til the end of the month and then start having a crack at them.

As I said I gotta catch another one or two.
what an awesome fish.

A cracking sight seeing one of these returned.

·
Registered
186 Posts
best advice for aberthaw, bulkspool of 20 pound line, a lead weight mould and 3 sl20sh's you'll find out why when you fish there.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Go to Llangenith, up towards the Burry Holms, fish with peeler or soft crab if you want smoothhounds! I would leave it for another month yet though!
blueskip

·
Registered
464 Posts
The Bluepool also fishes well for them with minimum tackle loss but you have to get through the tourists catching mackeral first, and the fish around the gower only seem to go up to the 6-7lb mark where as further east places like Aberthaw throw up 15-16lb pound fish. I know where i'll be heading ;)

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers good advice as always!
I think I'll try aberthaw and Llangennith this summer.

blueskip gave me some cracking advice about Llangennith a while a go but I have yet to fish there.

maybe I'll go to Llangennith and suss it out in the next week or so and perhaps gave it a few go's this year.

I think I willl wait for a few weeks before hitting aberthaw - no point losing all that tackle if the smoothies aint there yet

·
Registered
37 Posts
Caught a 20lber on the Anchorman last wed using peeler crab tipped wth rag using a Lidl boat rod and reel bought for £30 Bargain :D

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cracking fish Simbel, maybe they are in already then?

Maybe I could go out on the boats and try I been on the Anchor man last winter, a cracking boat but no cod when we were on board plenty of decent conger though.

Cheers mate

·
Registered
110 Posts
hey Barrelreef when you start fishing for the smoothies let me know, I caught one from sker ( 8lb ish) the year before last and boy what a fight, It made me go out and buy new gear as all i did was hang on as it ripped up and down, no control whatsoever.

I've never fished aberthor but know the beach a little (rough rough ground) and would like to give it a go. I have fished LLangenith, from bury holm for bass but never for the smothies.

Could do with a trip when there about........

·
Registered
737 Posts
just recieved a report that one angler had 2 smothies at aberthaw on sat one 4lb and one 8lb.?

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cheers lads, When the tides are right and i got the day off I gotta have a crack at the hounds, I can't wait any longer. Hee Hee :D

fishboy, when I'm going to aberthaw i'll let you know probably by private message.

It will be my first time there so maybe we can learn to catch smoothies together

1 - 16 of 16 Posts