World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi am gonna try catching a big smooth hound from the admiralty pier in dover on friday night (tonight) wet windy and generaly rubbish we love it dont we! lol any advise would be helpfull. bait rigs etc

:) cheers

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
I would go for a pulley pennel rig with a nice peeler for bait, never fished off Admiralty pier though.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
i would use an up and over that will give a hooklength over 2ft long.

this will put the bait on the sea bed. a pulley fished from a raised platform could mean your bait us not on the bottom where the fish will be feeding. especialy if there is a good tide pulling through that will actually lift a hanging hooklength. a fixed, clipped down paternoster can have the same effect as a pulley from a high pier.

·
The people's moral compass
12,846 Posts
i would have to side with dab on this one, i use a clipped (up/over/down) sliding ledger rig, anything up to a 4ft snood,

60lb rig body, 25 or 40 snood, usually a pair of 4/0's in a pennel set up.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
i would use an up and over that will give a hooklength over 2ft long.

this will put the bait on the sea bed. a pulley fished from a raised platform could mean your bait us not on the bottom where the fish will be feeding. especialy if there is a good tide pulling through that will actually lift a hanging hooklength. a fixed, clipped down paternoster can have the same effect as a pulley from a high pier.
I use the same with a single hook, usually a 3/0 or 4/0 depending on the bait size :fish:

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I use pulley rigs with a 3/0 single hook, ive lost smoothounds b4 when they have been hooked on the top hook and this pulling down onto the bottom hook has caused a line break. i only use crab.

15,082 Posts
Be nice nice if you could obtain some Hermit Crabs.Not sure if they cast a way off too well though as Im not a beach fishermen.I suppose if you whipped them on they should be ok.Hard to keep them alive though but on a boat they are the top bait for Hounds you could ever use.

Ron

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Be nice nice if you could obtain some Hermit Crabs.Not sure if they cast a way off too well though as Im not a beach fishermen.I suppose if you whipped them on they should be ok.Hard to keep them alive though but on a boat they are the top bait for Hounds you could ever use.

Ron
we recently tried frozen hermit aganst frozen peeler on the boat both caught about the same they where all small hounds under 5lb the hermit didnt look as good the body sack was perforated by the freezing process but as good as the peeler which was home frozen

15,082 Posts
we recently tried frozen hermit aganst frozen peeler on the boat both caught about the same they where all small hounds under 5lb the hermit didnt look as good the body sack was perforated by the freezing process but as good as the peeler which was home frozen
I have heard that the frozen ones were just as good.Ive never tried them because we can normally get fresh.Saying that I think we do just as well most times on hard peelers.I normally just take the top shell off and double hook the whole thing.I dont think hounds are too fussy as long as it looks a bit crabby!Ive noticed too that if there are any small Bass around when you are fishing for Hounds they will rob the Hermit where as they dont touch the peeler.Infact nothing when you get offshore seems to eat peeler except Hounds anyway and the occasional Roker.Lug is good offshore for Bass but come inshore they wont look at Lug and want Crab and Ragworrm!...Offshore the bigger Bass want Mackeral!....Blimey you can't win :)

Ron

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I have heard that the frozen ones were just as good.Ive never tried them because we can normally get fresh.Saying that I think we do just as well most times on hard peelers.I normally just take the top shell off and double hook the whole thing.I dont think hounds are too fussy as long as it looks a bit crabby!Ive noticed too that if there are any small Bass around when you are fishing for Hounds they will rob the Hermit where as they dont touch the peeler.Infact nothing when you get offshore seems to eat peeler except Hounds anyway and the occasional Roker.Lug is good offshore for Bass but come inshore they wont look at Lug and want Crab and Ragworrm!...Offshore the bigger Bass want Mackeral!....Blimey you can't win :)

Ron
with the hermits ron when i used to live in hants it was the top bait year round great for the hounds in spring and just the tail for codling in winter a mate of mine gets them when he is crabbing on one of the bigger crab boats around here but he allways gets back in the afternoon hence the reason we freeze them would love to get them fresh

·
Registered
617 Posts

Ron
Ron, serious question now, what do you think should be done about all these pesky little bass we have to look forward too.

15,082 Posts
Ron, serious question now, what do you think should be done about all these pesky little bass we have to look forward too.
I think we should.............Just unhook them carefully and gently slip them back to fight another day and to grow to be 45mls and then everyone will live in harmony and happily ever after :)

Ron ''In harmony with the World''

·
Registered
617 Posts
I think we should.............Just unhook them carefully and gently slip them back to fight another day and to grow to be 45mls and then everyone will live in harmony and happily ever after :)

Ron ''In harmony with the World''
am i likely to win the lottery

·
Registered
617 Posts
I do hope so...Garry...Darling,lover...There are Civil ceremonies now you know..I would marry you,like we discussed before:kissing:

Your Ronnie xx
Money talks and you want a big cat if I win, but for now you are going to have to put up with postman pat or terry:g:

D

·
0 Posts
hi am gonna try catching a big smooth hound from the admiralty pier in dover on friday night (tonight) wet windy and generaly rubbish we love it dont we! lol any advise would be helpfull. bait rigs etc

crab is the number one bait on the addy for the hounds but don't rule out whole squid or lug and squidhead.i know the doggie's will take both bait's but i've had a few hound's on it on the piers and boats out of dover.how did u get on anyway?.....dave.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I agree with Dave crab is by far and away the best bait. I have seen a fair few come out on Ragworm on Dover Breakwater. I always freeze down a good few crabs as hounds are not fussy and will take frozen(assuming its good quality) just as wellas live.
DaveA

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
didnt go in the end ( force 8 winds ) but next time i go it will be on the pier and ill be going for a smoothey as i havent had one yet, gonna go for crab (peeler or hermit wich ever i can get) put a hole crab on one rod and peel the other and elastic it on another rod. for my trace im gonna use a flowing pennal rig, my bait will defo be on the ground then so fingers crossed. cheers guys will let ya no how i get on.

·
Registered
3,880 Posts

And don't forget to set the drag otherwise it could be :bye1: :bye1: rod.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts