World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to fish Branscombe last night to see if the smoothies had started to show. Armed with a dozen good peeler crab and some nice worm.

When I arrived the car park was busy and walking down to the beach I was amazed to see so many anglers there. There was a match on:unsure: .

Anyway took a long walk up the left hand side of the beach and got a spot to fish.

Plenty of dogfish taking anything thrown at them but managed to work my way through them and had my first Smooth Hound of the year. Was only small but like they do gave a good solid scrap.

Delighted they have started to show. Grab your crabs and target them.:clap2:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Never at Exmouth but have only fished Budleigh Salterton - wouldnt suprise me though if they are caught there.

Branscombe has produced smoothies for me each trip through till July. Well worth going and some are sizeable.

Many of them East Devon beaches and marks will show them for ther next few months.

Best from last year which was around 8lb. That is a Team seat box!

Most pleasing thing is the full length of the beach isnow open and last night I never saw one bit of rubbish. No plastic on sea bed and few snags. Lost one set only which is less than I used to before the shipwreck.

There was little in the way of spider crab and baits fished and snoods stayed unbitten just chaffed up by the dogfish attentions.

:)

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
i'm just counting the days now until we manage to get them in, it was around end of april they came last year !

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Thanks for the info Gilbey ive only ever seen 1 caught locally and that was at teignmouth in late august a cple yrs ago, didnt know they started this early!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
cant wait to go back to sea now and get 100000 hermit crabs great bait ,pump the rib up and of we go lol
only ever cought 2 so going to make it my species fish this year

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Thanks for the info Gilbey ive only ever seen 1 caught locally and that was at teignmouth in late august a cple yrs ago, didnt know they started this early!
we had 10 or so on the boat a mile offshore over easter with 4 around the 10lb mark funny thing is they wernt about this weekend

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well done Gilbey! I love catching hounds, its good to see they're in already. The earliest i've had one to date is in June. Its also nice to hear that Branscombe is fishable.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
we had 10 or so on the boat a mile offshore over easter with 4 around the 10lb mark funny thing is they wernt about this weekend
Yeah i've read both reports paul, thing is wev'e never really targeted hounds, to be honest i never knew they turned up round here so i was a little surprised to learn they can be caught all summer from shore. Think ive been a lttle too preoccupied with bass in the past time to broaden my horizons i think. Do you know ive fished for 26 years boat and shore and never caught a huss?:g:

·
Registered
264 Posts
well done mate

i was one of them in the match, exmouth versus honiton clubs
did here of 1 landed so guess that was yours well done

none of us recorded any smoothies, did try with the few crabs i had, but the dogs were gulping anything

branscombe is possibly best beach arround here for them although seaton fishes ok and i have seen 1 from budliegh

time to start buying crab i think

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for replies and cant wait to get back out after some more.

Pingu have you got any details of them two Angling Clubs - do they have websites?

It was fate I would have one I reckon - I turn up during a match of 40 anglers and slot in somewhere and have one! They all seemed a sociable bunch and need a couple of fishing friends around here.

:)

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Yeah i've read both reports paul, thing is wev'e never really targeted hounds, to be honest i never knew they turned up round here so i was a little surprised to learn they can be caught all summer from shore. Think ive been a lttle too preoccupied with bass in the past time to broaden my horizons i think. Do you know ive fished for 26 years boat and shore and never caught a huss?:g:
they clear off around the end of june when the crab stops peeling if you target the area where the spider crab are you have a good chance what area do you fish fox?

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
they clear off around the end of june when the crab stops peeling if you target the area where the spider crab are you have a good chance what area do you fish fox?
Usually Exmouth to Teignmouth normally in my boat inshore bassing or light pollacking. My brother caught one late august of teignmouth car park a couple of years ago and according to most ppl round here thats when they show here. We had a go one evening from Ness beach last aug but nothing. I was surprised to hear gilbey catches them regularly at branscombe this early which isn't that far away,still you learn something new every day!!:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts