World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm planning a trip south to fish for smoothhounds around the mull of Galloway area. Can anyone help with some marks. I understand if this is a secret but if anyone is kind enough to provide some advice I promise that when I'm there I'll take nothing but photographs and leave nothing but foot prints.

Thanks, Jon

·
Registered
116 Posts
Jon, try a little to the east of the Mull around Auchenlarie Holiday Park along the A75. As you pass the park on the left heading towards Stranraer, you will find a layby about a quarter of a mile further on, this is the start of prime smoothound territory but carry on a little until you see a large field on the left opposite a cottage. Ahead you should see the start of a line of trees/bushes, pull onto the verge around the third bush and you will find a gap in the side that leads down to the rocky shore, anywhere along here will produce fish to crab baits. You can also pick up bass and if the conditions are right, tope as well.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Peapod, detailed information such as this would be better sent via p.m. Quite a few members are aware of decent stances where sporting species such as bass, smoothhound and tope may on occasion be caught, but others after the quick buck, and not as conservation minded may also find it interesting.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Perhaps 1 of our esteemed mods can do the honours :kissing: and delete this reply,:secret:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Strange world we anglers live in. It's only relatively recently (a few years) that this stretch of the coast has had any serious attention other than the odd local. I remember writing on several occasions that it was amazing how many anglers drove straight passed thinking that this area between Kirkcudbright/Borgue and the Stranraer end was like a desert. It was prime untouched clean ground fishing that saw extremely little action, probably due to the fact that most of it dries out over low water. Now when I drive passed almost any time from May throughout the summer months, cars line up along the road side bearing testimony to the fact it's "worth a chuck".
If, as suggested that this thread is deleted, then the forum and all it stands for is a sham and doesn't stand for open, helpfull and free discussion. In my original reply there is nothing untrue, insulting or offensive. I was so concise because the area is imposible for any commercial activity to take place and I firmly believe that quality fishing is for all and not the chosen few who happen to know a good thing and not let on. If any of the above causes concern to the extent that it is deleted then it is a shame and a massive step backwards in the term "open forum".
Dab has penned a sensible reply but I'm not happy with one to one pm's. If someone asks, all should be able to share in the replies.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
The area in question has seen lots of activity over the years, myself I began fishing there about 30 years ago, it does not hold many people and can be impossible to fish during stormy weather, at that time not many anglers in the area used crab as bait, so smoothhound may have been present and maybe not. They have grown in numbers and in size and are slowly spreading out throughout the region. I hope they continue to do so. Regarding the p.m. system instead of a nation wide reply, When the target species can be fished out by an ever increasing ammount of pressure, then I would deem it to be wiser to have an idea of whom you are giving the information to.
Years ago, most of the best marks with the exception of Balcary were quite litter free, and the landowners allowed us to park our vehicles near to the fishing grounds. But as the years went by more and more uncaring anglers messed it up for the rest of us. All the big cod came from Balcary, and nobody ever heard of the Boreland, but once the news spread, the Boreland became a midden due to the rubbish left by anglers. They knocked down the farmers dry stane **** in their haste to get there. Our club members rebuilt the **** and built a style, yet still people could not behave, now we all have a long trek from the main road. Same at Egerness, and the mess at the Yellow Isle, Balcary and the white tower at the Isle of Whithorn has to be seen to be believed. Once a mark is highlighted nationally you can expect to see a large number of anglers travel there to try their luck. When the Sea Angler mag. had the Fox's Snoot o the front cover, the farmer there was bemused to find coaches of anglers hunting for the snoot, but not so when they trampled through his field in crop. At the various marks I fish for bass, if I am fortunate enough to catch a decent one or two, I'll give a wee report and have a snap of the fish, but won't elaborate, else the gill netters will be there like a bullet. By all means share your information with decent caring anglers, but bear in mind that there are a lot out there who have no respect for either the countryside or the fish.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Peapod thanks for the advice I live 125miles from this mark and will only manage to fish it on the odd special trip. I understand Dabhands point but I don't suppose there is anyway of knowing who you are sending a pm to unless you have actually met the person.

Once again thanks for the reply its one more reply than I expected.

Jon

·
Registered
39 Posts
Strange world we anglers live in. It's only relatively recently (a few years) that this stretch of the coast has had any serious attention other than the odd local. I remember writing on several occasions that it was amazing how many anglers drove straight passed thinking that this area between Kirkcudbright/Borgue and the Stranraer end was like a desert. It was prime untouched clean ground fishing that saw extremely little action, probably due to the fact that most of it dries out over low water. Now when I drive passed almost any time from May throughout the summer months, cars line up along the road side bearing testimony to the fact it's "worth a chuck".
If, as suggested that this thread is deleted, then the forum and all it stands for is a sham and doesn't stand for open, helpfull and free discussion. In my original reply there is nothing untrue, insulting or offensive. I was so concise because the area is imposible for any commercial activity to take place and I firmly believe that quality fishing is for all and not the chosen few who happen to know a good thing and not let on. If any of the above causes concern to the extent that it is deleted then it is a shame and a massive step backwards in the term "open forum".
Dab has penned a sensible reply but I'm not happy with one to one pm's. If someone asks, all should be able to share in the replies.
am afraid u r wrong about the commercial fishing in the bay iwas tere last week an 2 boat had 3 nets out all had to b at least a mile long they were liffting them and keeping every thing i rang the fishries protection an the feed back was negative on a brighternote ive had 20 in two weeks and beat me pb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts