World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the number of smoothounds in our waters worth worrying about? Its just that most weekends there seems to be competition in my area normally won with bags of smoothies of 30-40lb and with runners up etc thats probably 30+ specimens killed for now reason but to weigh in at a comp most weekends. I dont think there are many catch and release comps over here on the island.

I know that some clubs dont allow smoothies to be weighed in, but surely with the demise of the bass we should be looking after the sports fish stocks like smoothies?

If smoothies are prolific breeders and there numbers are massive then excuse my concern, i wonder if people ever thought that about bass? at least you can eat them though...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ian

I dont disagree with competitions, just maybe they should be limited to fish that are actually eaten or have a purpose after they have caught, catching a smoothie and letting it die just to weigh it and maybe win a few quid isnt right in my opinion. Dont get me wrong i love catching smoothies but always get pleasure from watching them swim away after.

What are most anglers opinions on this?

Would be interested to hear

cheers

·
Registered
186 Posts
i've fished in matches on chesil where dead smoothies and rays are brought to the scales and it really is heartbreaking to see, the way we get around this in club matches in south wales is to fish over a smaller area of beach and take 4 scales down to the beach so you are never far from someone with a set so fish can be weighed and returned quickly, even better than this are pegged events where fish are measured and returned, you dont get any cheating as you are normally not fishing with your mates, this seems to be the way to go, any other opinions?

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
i personally think that all compititions should be catch and release. it may be a bit of hard work, but surely this is the best way forward, for the enjoyment of everyone.

i want to catch a cod!!!!

·
Registered
423 Posts
hi i fish for a club where all smoothies are catch and release,i think you will find that in most clubs,because the ones i know around hampshire are all done this way

·
Registered
423 Posts
As a recent convert to seafishing I wondered about comps and whether all the fish died just so they could be weighed. I'm glad that the general consensus is that most are released however it still seems (after reading sea angling mags) that there are alot of comps where fish are needlessly killed. I would have thought that this would be totally against all anglers beliefs / ideals. Heck, it sounds like it's now hard enough to catch anything decent these days without killing what you do catch!?

I'm with you lot on the release unless you're going to eat it.

Blenny

·
Registered
423 Posts
hi mate,most comps now require you to have a bucket to put your fish in ,so as to keep them alive,unfortunatly some fish do die but most will survive until the weigh in as long as you change the water to keep it fresh,also some species like doggies have a set weight for them so you just keep a record of howmany you have caught,if anyone is caught delibertly killing fish for no reason they will be thrown out of our club(drayton angling club)

G

·
hi all i also fish around the iow southampton side,we are always after the smoothies as they are one of the best sporting fish which can be caught ive never killed one of these fish mainly because when you get one of these beasts in im always in awe of how good looking and powerful they are im also a bit concerned this many fish being killed and probaly not eaten just so someone can get a badge and 20-30 quid in there pocket for a comp is a bit sad i thought it was about the sport not mass wastage.dont get me wrong im not a animal activist but dont really get killing these animals the bigger and more plentiful these fish get the better it will be for all of us

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have done a bit of asking around and im pleased to say it seems quite a few club competitions are catch and release, with the bigger open comps (which are less frequent) are weigh in only.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts