World Sea Fishing Forums banner

smoothounds on the iow

836 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  RichieAWT 
#1 ·
as i am origanly from the north off england and new to the island i would be very greatfull if anyone would be able to give me any advise on where the best place would be to catch a smoothound from the shore would be.as i have never caught one befor.
i see in the county press this week that there was some caught any info would be great (baits, times, places etc) dont mind walking as i have heard a lot of the good spots involve a hike sometimes

many thanks

#7 ·
Is there some confusion here, are you getting the piers mixed up as the way that I read this is that plugger asked if he could fish the pier at Fort Vic and you answered the right hand side, I think you meant Yarmouth Pier, he may think Fort Vic Pier?

You can not fish Fort Vic pier - PERIOD!

Try the North West side of the Island

cheerzz

#10 ·
Fort vic seems to be producing reletively well at the moment, there has been a few at hampstead also, dont think cowes has taken off yet but is very good when it does.

As Daz said the Vic or off the end of yarmouth pier with crab are the places to try at the mo, give it another few week and the solent will be full of them.

#11 ·
Have any of you guys tried hard back crabs for them,they work out in the boats,I,m totally sodding useless at getting peelers and f****d if Im paying the going rate in Scotties for a crab,I just wondered if you declawed a hard back and pierced the shell a few times before putting a 6/0 thru one of the sockets whether that would work or not?

#12 ·
Have any of you guys tried hard back crabs for them,they work out in the boats,I,m totally sodding useless at getting peelers and f****d if Im paying the going rate in Scotties for a crab,I just wondered if you declawed a hard back and pierced the shell a few times before putting a 6/0 thru one of the sockets whether that would work or not?
Just smash up a couple of hardbacks and tie them on, good bait especially for hounds and wrasse

#13 ·
Never used them myself as getting peelers has never been a problem but i have seen people up yarmouth using them and catching, usaully only when the fishing is manic.

Ive caught 3 smoothounds on the same crab bait when it has been hectic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.