World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to sea fishing,been fishing of a breakwater always losing all my gear(more often) :angry: ,,snagging all the time,even tried casting with lead only and still lost it, used diffrent leads,most days give up and go home,watch people and they have no problems,, any advice would welcome :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Try buying some rotten bottom devices. These allow the lead to be cast with force but then trip so the weight is attached by a weak mono link. If the weight becomes snagged then the mono breaks and the rest of your trace can be recovered - complete with fish, hopefully. You could also try different rigs, perhaps a pulley rig, this lifts the weight as you retrieve.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
'Tis annoying enit! If others are not losing tackle could it be that they are leaving the lead exactly where it lands after they've tightened up on it, and you are constantly pulling it along the botttom looking for a snag? (done it lots of times!) Once you decide to reel in (or God forbid, you get a good bite!), reel in quickly to get your terminal tackle up and away from problems. Even if it's a good fish they will look for snags for you if you give them a chance! You can also fit a device which 'planes' the lot up like a wing (don't use one myself as they cost!)

Another thing to look at is how far the snag-free-others are casting compared to you. There are quite often snags at certain distances, so you can choose to go short or long, only experience and lots of leads will teach you!

Depending on the nature of the tidal flow at your venue and the depth of water, try a very light rod (I use a heavy feeder rod) and tie a hook direct and cast a large bait (whole peeler or King Rag etc. - with a bit of weight) into the rough stuff. At worst you lose a hook and quite often Bass in particular are under your feet on a rising tide. Fishing in the Swellies in the Menai Straits this is a fun way to catch and I don't lose leads! Otherwise keep at it or fish somewhere cleaner!!!

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
It's me again .... Just looked at another part of the website and found this (!!!)

Mike Thrussell's Sea Diary 26th April 2004
TIPS AND TRICKS
Aerodynamic bomb or torpedo shaped leads may be ideal for long-range casting but they tend to snag badly over rough ground because of their slim elongated shape. When casting distance is not so much of an issue switch over to the old fashioned flat watch leads designed for boat fishing and you’ll find you lose fewer weights. These roll less in the tide and being wider are less prone to falling down cracks between rocks and boulders.

Now there's an idea! I used to use old spark plugs (from a garage?) which cost nothing and weigh about an ounce and a half tied on with light stuff. Otherwise go down at low water spring tide and search for OPLL (Other People's Lost Leads)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Try using these little devices when on rough ground,you attach them just above the weight ,on the retrieve they pick the rig to the surface in a natural momentum for their shape

1 - 6 of 6 Posts