World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Its getting to that time of year when my local sand marks are alive with Snake Launce.

As I seem to catch these very easily on spinners when they are around, I've often wondered about either chopping them up and using them for bait, or nicking the smaller ones through the back of the head and using them as live bait under a float!

Anyone have any experience of using Launce from the shore. I asked my mates, but most do as I do and just throw them back......all except one, who pickles them in brine, ala rollmop herring style!! :yucky:

Cheers,

Frags

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I absolutely love catching them on super light spinning gear with an adapted Mepps spinner or home made longer snood feathers from the shore. I remove the treble from a number 2 ( ish ) Mepps add 4 inches of mono and a trailing single smallish hook. Feathers I tie using the knot less knot to wrap Xmas tinsel on the shank fly style, the iridescent tack works just like a small sandeel or sprat in the water, deadly !

Hook a live launce on a circle hook under a float or on a long flowing paternoster rig with a lead, no long wanging or the results are one deceased launce, tops for the silver bars !

They are amazing little fighters and fascinating to watch attacking shoals of bait fish. Late last summer I spent over an hour trying to bait up my live bait rod missing launce after launce, when I finally caught one a young lad I had been helping to fish dutifully 'helped' me unhook it and smacked it on the rail to kill it. Was the most insincere 'thank you' I have ever mustered ! LOL Chopped it up and baited feathers and picked off better macky and a scooly, so couldnt moan really.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sally!

I will defo give it a try now!! I have seen them used on a boat, but always wondered if they would be good from the shore!!

Quite looking forward to catching a few and transporting them down the coast to a deep water rock mark for the Bass and Pollock perhaps!

Will let you know how I get on!

P.s...............Still waiting to get up to your neck of the woods to give the Pike a bit of a go! will PM you when I get a chance to get there!

Cheers,

Frags

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Caught lots of pollack around Tintagel on live launce on the float,and a couple of bass from Port Gaverne/Treligga/Trebarwith area on launce.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
and don't worry about it being too big.
It's just amazing how a small bass or codling will try to swallow a huge live launce, if that is what is around for food

I reckon a 16 inch Bass will try to swallow a launce longer than itself (and that's about as big as a launce could get....isn't it ?)

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Hi All,

Its getting to that time of year when my local sand marks are alive with Snake Launce.

As I seem to catch these very easily on spinners when they are around, I've often wondered about either chopping them up and using them for bait, or nicking the smaller ones through the back of the head and using them as live bait under a float!

Anyone have any experience of using Launce from the shore. I asked my mates, but most do as I do and just throw them back......all except one, who pickles them in brine, ala rollmop herring style!! :yucky:

Cheers,

Frags
I cant get enough of them. They are very effective for bass on several of my local beaches, and I am using them frozen. I DREAM of getting them live....!!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Work ok for Pollack in my experience. Float fshed from the shore or drifted from the boat. I thought they would attract the bigger fish but they dont seem to. Ive had pollack and coalies as small as 1lb8oz take some huge launce that will be getting on for over 14 inches long!

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all your answers all,

Its given me a real inspiration to get out there and catch have a dozen or so, before transporting them to a lovely deep water rock mark I know, where the tide races through a channel within casting distance. I've had loads of good Pollock from there before, and I'm sure that there should be Bass in there too!

Will give it a go and post the results.

Cheers,

Frags.:notworthy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts