World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought a new beachcaster of ebay the last week and it arrived today, had a little play with it lined it up etc and barely even bent the tip and it snapped, looks like its made of wood???:blink: surely rods are made of a different material, where would you think i stand on returning this?

thanks jamie

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
many sellers are shops,so see if they are as they should have some type of guarentee.if they want to give you a runaround,then use the old negative feedback threat.other that that i have'nt a clue mate:)

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
give the bloke a pure bad feedback his gear aint upto scratch,simple as,he should refund you your dosh if hes a good a1 ebayer,

allways check there feedback see what complaints they have,before you buy

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
the seller might argue, with a lot of justification, that a rod tip is designed to take the stress of casting and playing fish...... not as a test your strength device.
The load from casting or playing a fish is distributed along the blank not in a short section between the hands. I've heard tales of people selling rods at car boot sales suffering the same thing.... crack,well that wasn't very strong was it !
It could be the blank was defective.... or it could be an expensive lesson learnt.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Rods are designed to take the load applied over their full length, not over a short section. Some good blanks have the resilience to withstand this treatment, which can be made even worse by bending the tip against a fulcrum (usually the thumb, do it in my workshop and you'll get a sharp response!). As said, I think you might have to put this down to experience, I just hope it wasn't too expensive! PM me or Stan M for repair possibilities.

philtherod

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
what was the make/model? you might find it was damaged in the post, did you pay for transit insurance? perhaps it was damaged in the post and possibly claim from royal mail if it was under £34. e-mail the seller and check whether the goods were insured.

and finally, as others have said, don't bend your rod tips !!

·
Registered
424 Posts
bought a new beachcaster of ebay the last week and it arrived today, had a little play with it lined it up etc and barely even bent the tip and it snapped, looks like its made of wood???:blink: surely rods are made of a different material, where would you think i stand on returning this?

thanks jamie
It's the person you bought it from who you ought to ask. Have you contacted him about the problem and if so what was his response?

From what you say you seem to have put the rod together and flexed it and not just bent the tip section, as others have guessed. Depending on how and what pressure was applied then maybe it oughtn't to have snapped. If it the material looks like wood then it might be cheap glass fibre. Can you give us the item number, Jamie?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the item number is - 300111866056

the thing is with years of experience in fishing and knowing where and when not to flex a rod it really was the minimalist of pressure, i dont think it even would have withstood a trace on the end of it, it was only 12.99 and i know you get what you pay for but it kind of puts you of scouring a bargain on ebay, also i have already left positive feedback before really testing it which is my fault again.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
just checked the item, mmm? e-mail the seller and tell them rod is broken, contact royal mail and claim. you will need the proof of posting from seller. good luck.

·
Registered
424 Posts
It looks as if it's made from cheap brown glass fibre that does look a bit like splintered wood when it's broken. You really need to contact the seller (not Royal Mail, as they didn't break it) and ask for a refund. If he refuses then go the your Ebay Dispute Console and report it as Not as Described (in this case not fit for the purpose it was described as being for). If you paid through PayPal then you'll be redirected to their site. In that case, if the seller still doesn't refund then you can escalate the Dispute to a Claim and PayPal will investigate and refund you if they think it appropriate. The fact that you've already left feedback doesn't matter. It might not have cost much but the seller oughtn't to get away with selling shoddy goods, whatever the price. I hope you get things sorted out.

Cheers,

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts