World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
I snapped a triplex last year at the samf masters(phwlleli) The weed was very bad along the last 4-5 pegs. After pulling in a triple shot of dogs and a washing machine sized mat of weed, the rod snapped on the next cast about 18" from the tip. Probably my fault for being "over eager" trying to get the fish in. The service dept at Greys were fantastic and it took 3 days for me to get a new tip section back. I have 2 greys rods and cant fault them. If Greys can offer lifetime guarantees on their rods, cant see why other manufactures cant

·
Registered
154 Posts
Had a greys grx-s snap about a foot or so from the tip during a cast (not a power cast), replaced next day by shop (Poingdestres), still a good rod though.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Snapped a Platinum GSI first time out - got a bite on the third cast, struck & "SNAP!!" - 18 inches or so gone from the top of the rod. Had a word with Tony Anderson (then at Greys) whom I'd known from the club years back & he very kindly delivered me a new tip, in person, the very next day - no charge. I very soon bought another one, it's definitely my number 1 rod, also have a Triplex & Seaspin - no further problems with any of them & wouldn't have a problem buying any Greys rods in future (looking forward to the new Mk3 Apollo).:1a:

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had a greys SRX snap in two places when casting first time out, also a mk1 apollo and a greys jupiter both snapped these were well used but never abused! The SRX was replaced free of charge, the apollo had a administration charge of £30 but for some reason the jupiter was going to cost £80 so it went in the skip...........:doh:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Hi there got a pair of greys triads snapped the 2 of them within a week of each other at loch etive they both snapped at exactly the same bit of the rods,foned greys about this send them back with £30 for each section after a couple of emails and 1 nasty email to them got them replaced for free, told them that i could not afford 2 keep sending them back and that i had no confidence in them as of now the rods are still going great cheers james

·
Power to the peaceful
2,160 Posts
Been giving a GRX-s more heavy work than it should have this season...
its not looked like snapping and seems well up to it...
the grays snapping rod thing is a bit of an exaggerated myth i reckon...
they wiil be no worse than any others.......

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Had 2 apollo mk1s, 2 orions mk1s, 2 orion mk2s...........never had any trouble,only know of 1 angler who snapped a jupiter.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Been giving a GRX-s more heavy work than it should have this season...
its not looked like snapping and seems well up to it...
the grays snapping rod thing is a bit of an exaggerated myth i reckon...
they wiil be no worse than any others.......
I was chatting not long ago with an old mate I hadn't seen in about 25 years who's been running a large tackle shop near Newcastle for over 20 years about this - he reckons Greys not only outsells the other manufacturers by a long way, but in all that time he's probably had about 5 returns due to breakage.

Out of the thousands of rods he's sold, he reckons that Greys are probably the least likely to break! These are also rods that are being sold to anglers who give them a good thrashing on a lot of heavy marks, so if anything they'd be most likely to suffer damage.

Mind you, he has seen a lot of dubious damage, clearly caused by jamming in tailgates and crushing - of course the anglers in question will always insist it happened bringing in that big one that got away...:unsure:

·
Registered
530 Posts
I had a Greys Syntra snap about 18 inches down from the tip on casting.
I did get it back on the end of the line though:laugh: but didn't bother replacing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts