World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Snapped rod

2031 Views 34 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  sergedest
Hello all, has anyone ever had a rod snap 2ft up from bottom of butt, was out fishing today and my Tronixpro competition gt snapped as the power was put in 2ft from bottom of butt
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Never had anything like that happen.Get it back to whence it came.Sharpish.
Reactions: 1
Yes had it happen a few in the past, had them break at the reel seat and where the blank first comes out of the hand grip. I haven't had that happen though for quite a few years, it was more when I bought budget rods. Thats not saying more expensive rods will not break if pushed outside the class rating to much.
Yes had it happen a few in the past, had them break at the reel seat and where the blank first comes out of the hand grip. I haven't had that happen though for quite a few years, it was more when I bought budget rods. Thats not saying more expensive rods will not break if pushed outside the class rating to much.
It was well within rating mate, 5oz lead on a £400 plus rod, don’t think anyone would expect that to happen these days!
It was well within rating mate, 5oz lead on a £400 plus rod, don’t think anyone would expect that to happen these days!
£400 is a lot of money for a Tronix rod but as long as you didn't over load it there's no way it should have snapped
Deffo not overloaded, it’s a lot of money because it’s their top of range model. The break is perfectly clean for half circumference and the ragged break for other half of circumference.
best speak to Tronix or tackle shop you purchased from. I'm sure they will be more help than the comments here.
Very reputable Company.
best speak to Tronix or tackle shop you purchased from. I'm sure they will be more help than the comments here.
Very reputable Company.
i have contacted Tronix. i simply wanted to try and find out if this is a common occurrence, as although i find the rod great for my needs, i do not want to go and buy another one if it is a regular known problem.
Hello all, does anyone have a butt section for a 2 piece Tronixpro competition match gt for sale
Hello all, does anyone have a butt section for a 2 piece Tronixpro competition match gt for sale
Tronix should supply one free of charge, It isn't your fault the rod snapped, Surely it's their responsibility to replace the damaged butt.
Tronix should supply one free of charge, It isn't your fault the rod snapped, Surely it's their responsibility to replace the damaged butt.
Apparently not, quoted me £218 plus postage. And they have never heard I’d this happening before. Picture clearly shows that the fault started as a clean shear break in half of circumference, therefore a fault and then a splintered explosion to the other half as it broke due to only half of rod taking the load. Of course none of this could be seen under the shrink until it happened
Apparently not, quoted me £218 plus postage. And they have never heard I’d this happening before. Picture clearly shows that the fault started as a clean shear break in half of circumference, therefore a fault and then a splintered explosion to the other half as it broke due to only half of rod taking the load. Of course none of this could be seen under the shrink until it happened
Cant the shop you bought if from sort it out for you ? . Why should you end up out of pocket ?
I will try them but it seems no one is interested, and to be honest if Tronixpro not interested why will they be different for the shop, but I will try them.
I will try them but it seems no one is interested, and to be honest if Tronixpro not interested why will they be different for the shop, but I will try them.
Get this on any social media sites they have - I bet they soon start listening.
Reactions: 2
Go on there Facebook page and say something, I bet you’ll have a new rod even before you finish the sentence
Reactions: 3
How old is the rod and how did you pay for it?
its over 12 months old but hardly used, so out of warranty but its clearly a fault.

See less See more
  • Wow
definitely not! the clean cut is where it cracked/sheared and the splinters are where it snapped in action. could not see any of this happening under the shrink. i can assure you that this rod has deffo never been crushed.
Looks as if its been crushed .
Don't think so.

I don't think you would get a clean break like that break has with a crush ... it almost looks as if it has been cut. Its a bit hard from the one picture but it looks like there are two pieces of tube there ... its not a joint hidden under the shrink tube is it? If its all a single tube it looks like the layers have separated which is not a good sign.

The straight bit looks very old as if the two sides of the break been moving against each other .... the more splintered part looks to be where it suddenly failed and snapped? The nearest thing I've seen to that is where a repair spigot failed.

Have you had a good look at things to see if the whole butt section has the same wall thickness or if that is the site of a join? Its very common on cheap rods to put a join in somewhere in the butt and hide it under shrink tube or grips. I know that the rod cost you a good bit but they can put whatever price tag they want on things ... Tronix stuff is a long way from top of the range and a shiny turd is still a turd.

Had the rod been under 6 months old you would have had a very good chance of getting your money back or a fix under the terms of the Consumer Rights Act but with the age (the law is very time based rather than usage) you would most likely have to go to small claims as Tronix clearly don't want to play and to do that successfully you would really need an engineer to look at it and provide proof that it was a product fault ... all that starts to get very expensive.

Best advice I can give is speak to a rod-builder ..... parallel lengths of carbon tube are easily available and its fairly easy to glue up a new butt .... at one time most of the better rods had a dural butt glued on the end so its not a new idea and most decent rod builders should be able to help.
See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 20 of 35 Posts