World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I fish rock marks but don't use rotton bottom usually its the hook that gets snagged and it snapped at the shock leader knot. I no to use lower diameter hook length but it still snaps at the leader I use Albright Knott to attach my main to shock leader and always make sure it's tight and strong as possible. I looked at other threads and I am looking for size 4.0 wide gape hooks that are good for cod, bass fishing someone said Viking do a good one that bend at the point easterly if snagged at the point but not sure exactly what type ? Anyone got a link thats a good deal so I can give some a try as its getting a bit expensive and annoying replacing my leader every time.

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
The hook they are referring to is a Mustard Viking, If your not casting far try a 30 lb mainline straight through and say a 25 lb hook length, depends a lot on how rough the ground your fishing. Definitely start using a rotten bottom rigs, they are essential, if your in the real heavy ground losses are just something you have to put up with.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Leader knots break because the main line is much weaker at the knot, only option is to up the breaking strain, use lighter rotten bottom and finer wire hooks, mustad nordic are fine wire and bend out of snags but will not lose fish,I've had 6lb Bass on them ok,

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks just ordered myself some varivas big mouth hooks someone said they bend out of snags easy. ?
I think I'll drop to 25lb hook length or 20lb mainly for cod and bass or will they be able to cut though with teeth ?
I use 25lb Suffix titanium for main line on my penn 525 mag 2 and 60lb greased weasel shock leader, 40lb amnesia for main rig body and 20lb Amnesia hook length with varivas big mouth hooks on a pennel rig

What you think ?
Thanks
Brew

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
No point in using 60lb shock leader if you are using 40lb amnesia rig bodies mate!! Rig body should be at least the same as the leader!

And Big mouths don't bend that easy!! Certainly not as eaasily as a Mustad Viking...which is what you were recommended???

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Greased weasel is horrible shock leader,it knots badly,no wonder your knot is failing, try Ultima powerflex instead, as Mattyr said 40lb is too weak for your rigs,use the same as your leader but ditch the weasel

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Greased weasel is horrible shock leader,it knots badly,no wonder your knot is failing, try Ultima powerflex instead, as Mattyr said 40lb is too weak for your rigs,use the same as your leader but ditch the weasel
I disagree, nowt wrong with the weasel imho.

But if fishing rough ground id find a cheaper bulk spool of line in the 60lb class. 3quid for 40m of weasel is too steep to be throwing into snags!

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
Thanks just ordered myself some varivas big mouth hooks someone said they bend out of snags easy. ?
I think I'll drop to 25lb hook length or 20lb mainly for cod and bass or will they be able to cut though with teeth ?
I use 25lb Suffix titanium for main line on my penn 525 mag 2 and 60lb greased weasel shock leader, 40lb amnesia for main rig body and 20lb Amnesia hook length with varivas big mouth hooks on a pennel rig

What you think ?
Thanks
Brew
varivas big mouth hooks are very strong and do not bend easily, nor do mustad vikings.

you need aberdeen or nordic hooks

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
For rough ground cod fishing you require a heavier snood than 20lb. I'd suggest 80lb powerflex body and 40lb amnesia snood with a 20lb rotten bottom. A Bimini twist is the way to go for leaders, if I lose a rig I normally only lose a small section of the shockleader nearest the rig where it's lieing in/around a rock. Big mouths are excellent hook wise, they will bend out and remain sharp throughout just remember to check the point after every snag. I fish rough ground almost every weekend and have no problems with the above set up - mainly matches so I know it works. The only other thing I'd consider is upping your mainline to a good quality 30lb mono that handles abrasion well such as Daiwa sensor coupled with a 80lb leader you can cope with any ground.

·
Registered
707 Posts
G

·
just dont use a leader at all the knot will go first if ur using heavy hoioks and snoods , another vote for weasel btw .

·
Registered
25,238 Posts
40lb mono straight through.Jobs a goodun!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts