World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process off over viewing knots used for terminal tackle etc & in the past have used the grinner/uni its basically the same knot for all my rig knots, slowly moving over to the palomar knot for swivels etc...

But from recent reading i understand the snell knot has an increased rate of hook up which in my own eyes means more fish :)

Some info suggested the snell with circle hooks had a pretty darn good hook up rate i'm not looking at circles just yet as they are a total *%$! bad ass for getting worms on but could be worth while from the boat tho, for some species !

At present I'm looking at long shank hooks & mainly using sakuma manta/extra hooks for either shore/boat fishing to which i aim to use the snell knot for both... with large diameter snood at times 40lb plus.

Now the questions at hand are...

1. I'm finding the snell -uni knot version easy to tie at present on long shank hooks... still working on the traditional version of the snell, now the snell pretty much retains 100% strength of the line used when compared to other knots & this is why i'm interested in the knot !

2. How many people still use the snell knot for large species of fish ? mainly looking at double lb & hard fighting fish (boat)... does this knot do the job !

3. The snell appears mildly harder to tie with larger diameter line & make the knot sit comfortable, i may have to use a little super glue etc to make it more stable ? (what do you think)

4. Should i be looking at a different style/type of hook than the standard long shank type & if so could you name a suitable brand or type of hook for the snell knot to be used with !

Opinions welcome & personal experience is an added bonus :thumbs:

Tight lines...

·
Registered
212 Posts
snell knots increase the hook up rate with circles because of the way circles work and they only do that if tied a certain way, if they where tied like a normal spade end hook or the snood coming through the eye of the hook the wrong way it wouldnt have the same effect. i dont think they will have any benefical effect on normal j hooks.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I use circle hooks for all my sea fishing and I have found that 'octopus' pattern hooks provide a straighter transition from line to hook.
As far as using work with circles, I use the Breakaway Baitloader as this keeps the hook point clear and helps with presentation.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
snell knots increase the hook up rate with circles because of the way circles work and they only do that if tied a certain way, if they where tied like a normal spade end hook or the snood coming through the eye of the hook the wrong way it wouldn't have the same effect. i dont think they will have any benefical effect on normal j hooks.
Ye i'm familiar with the way circle hooks work & certainly looking at them for some species which like to run with the bait !

Also noticed on which way the snood line go's through the hook eye with the the snell knot to how it off sets the hook position, i'm going to have to take a closer look at this to make sure i'm doing it right..

i dont think they will have any benefical effect on normal j hooks.
Not sure about that ?

J hooks have be around as long as the snell knot & much longer than the circle hooks have been around ! like you said its the correct way of tying the snell knot to hook type for best position but can not over look decades of use of the snell knot with J hooks or similar hooks..

·
Registered
291 Posts
Fishermen through the ages have used circle hooks. In Latin America, Pre-Columbian Indians used circular-shaped hooks made of seashell; in ancient Japan, fishermen used reindeer horn to fashion curve-shaped hooks; Pacific coast Native Americans also used hooks that were not unlike circle hooks used today. In modern times, circle hooks have been a tool of the commercial longline fishermen for decades.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I put my circles on using the loop method, just tie a loop and pass it through the front of the hook eye then over the back and pull tight, much easier than faffing around with snell knots, works just the same

1 - 6 of 6 Posts