World Sea Fishing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
The Ultra light Always doing it in style
4,945 Posts
13. Striped Sea Bream (Lithognathus mormyrus)
View attachment 1193643
It's a sand Steenbras, I thought they were a stripped bream as most call them that until I stumbled across it in a wee book I have.. It seems the stripped bream is different in my wee book as it has both species in it. I shall find it and put the description up.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Cheers! According to wikipedia (not always the most reliable I'll grant you) they are different common names for the same fish, Lithognathus mormyrus. I think you were right all along!

Edited to add: after re reading your post it seems you'd got that. I'll check in my Louisy guide when I get home and see what he has to say!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand_steenbras

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
It's a sand Steenbras, I thought they were a stripped bream as most call them that until I stumbled across it in a wee book I have.. It seems the stripped bream is different in my wee book as it has both species in it. I shall find it and put the description up.
20190807_150819.jpg

Louisy seems to be of the view they're the same thing

·
4,945 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Lesser Amber jack, notice the dark line through it's eye.

It could well be, I shall have a good nose for that small booklet listing both. Had a good search the other day on net and seem to be coming up as the same, I need me book.
I think you're right about the Amberjack, it is a better fit. It fought like an absolute demon, I was genuinely staggered it was such a small fish when I eventually got sight of it.

Any thoughts on the brown wrasse? I'm not 100% sold but it seemed the best fit....

·
4,945 Posts
I think you're right about the Amberjack, it is a better fit.

Any thoughts on the brown wrasse? I'm not 100% sold but it seemed the best fit....
I would say Parrot fish looking at the teeth colour and body shape, the only brown wrasse I've seen here tend to be bright greens or dark brown with purple hue. In one of my posts from May 3 yrs ago is a Parrot fish pic somewhere, look the same.
Just found my wee book shows definitely two different species..

IMG_7984.jpg

IMG_7982 (2).jpg

IMG_7985 (2).jpg

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I would say Parrot fish looking at the teeth colour and body shape, the only brown wrasse I've seen here tend to be bright greens or dark brown with purple hue. In one of my posts from May 3 yrs ago is a Parrot fish pic somewhere, look the same.
Just found my wee book shows definitely two different species..

View attachment 1197517

View attachment 1197519

View attachment 1197521
The overall balance of opinion seems to be that they're the same thing though....

Looking at it again I think you're right on the parrot fish. If you hadn't guessed I'm new to the Med so a lot of these are my first of each species!

·
4,945 Posts
The overall balance of opinion seems to be that they're the same thing though....
It doe's but is that becaused most have called them striped bream thinking they are [I did]. Saw some actual striped bream last year swimming along some rocks and the heads and colouration are totally different. Go with Steenbras and if your lucky a striped bream will show up at some point.

Good site for most fish id..

https://www.fishbase.se/trophiceco/FishEcoList.php?ve_code=13

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
It doe's but is that becaused most have called them striped bream thinking they are [I did]. Saw some actual striped bream last year swimming along some rocks and the heads and colouration are totally different. Go with Steenbras and if your lucky a striped bream will show up at some point.

Good site for most fish id..

https://www.fishbase.se/trophiceco/FishEcoList.php?ve_code=13

That website lists lithognatus mormyrus as having the common name "sand steenbras". Which is at odds with your book which lists that Latin name against the common name "striped bream".

·
4,945 Posts
That website lists lithognatus mormyrus as having the common name "sand steenbras". Which is at odds with your book which lists that Latin name against the common name "striped bream".
Yes it doe's, needs further investigation. Maybe there has been some form of hybridisation at some point? I shall send an email or two at some point.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I tried to look up the given latin name for "sand steenbras" in your book (arenam steenbras). It is a literal translation - aranae is latin for "sand". A precise search for the term also brings up no hits whatsoever, which suggests it isn't actually a latin name in use. I wonder if the editors made a booboo somewhere?

·
4,945 Posts
I tried to look up the given latin name for "sand steenbras" in your book (arenam steenbras). It is a literal translation - aranae is latin for "sand". A precise search for the term also brings up no hits whatsoever, which suggests it isn't actually a latin name in use. I wonder if the editors made a booboo somewhere?
? Just emailed the marine biologist prof for the university in Thessaloniki Greece to see what he knows. shall wait for his reply...

Reactions: Snork84

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
You get some lovely looking fish over in Cyprus, even the small ones!!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts