World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moored the boat up at Ferrybridge after a days boat fishing this afternoon only to have a visit by Fisheries Protection (had nothing to hide just a few mackies for tea). Nice to see the protection people considering that we have had a problem with undersize bass being landed. What would have been funny if it was not so sad, was that less than 50 yards away moored up in the middle of the Fleet were two boats lure fishing for bass! The Fleet is a bass nursery area and fishing for bass (to the best of my knowledge) from a boat is illegal. This was not challenged and basically ignored.

·
Registered
24,897 Posts
Moored the boat up at Ferrybridge after a days boat fishing this afternoon only to have a visit by Fisheries Protection (had nothing to hide just a few mackies for tea). Nice to see the protection people considering that we have had a problem with undersize bass being landed. What would have been funny if it was not so sad, was that less than 50 yards away moored up in the middle of the Fleet were two boats lure fishing for bass! The Fleet is a bass nursery area and fishing for bass (to the best of my knowledge) from a boat is illegal. This was not challenged and basically ignored.
They would probably say they were spinning for mackeral and without evidence the fisheries wouldnt be able to do diddly squat.

·
Registered
875 Posts
They would probably say they were spinning for mackeral and without evidence the fisheries wouldnt be able to do diddly squat.
Yes, but they could have at least gone over and had a word, advised the anglers that Bass must be returned, and just checked their fish box to ensure they knew the rules.

I suppose it is possible they may have done that before Richtea returned to his mooring, so let's give them the benefit of the doubt.

Pel.

·
Banned
1,597 Posts

There are always 2 sides of the coin?

You were challenged and they werent.

WHY?

You seem very negative in your initial response, less responsive but almost all defensive?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Puddlesplasher, no reason for me to be negative or defensive. If you look at my previous post you will see the 12lb bass I caught and RETURNED. The point I was trying to make was that there were two boat anglers in a nursery area plugging for bass, how much more obvious can it be. As for being defensive, I have always and will always only take enough fish for the table and return more fish than I take. Not quite sure what point you were trying to make.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I can understand your feelings, it is not unusual to see fisheries talking to small boats in the harbour but ignoring obvious angling/fishing boats close by.

I know the fisherioes officer, so I asked him about this, I was told that these bosts had been checked at other times, So I left it.

I have called him when spotting things as obvious as illegal bass fishing and he has responded, so perhaps a call to the fisheries to ask them to send the boat to have a word with the two lure fisherman would have helped.

Frustrating though isn't it

Charlie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts