World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So would I be right in thinking there are not many people who come in this forum

Someone asked the question where to go fishing in the north west, some good mentions by people Cumbria does sound good and where my childhood memories of fishing off the blocks at Haverigg with my dad and uncle about 30 Yrs ago, I have found myself with lots of free time so I have decided to finish off what I started years ago, I have been fishing less than 20 times but only on lakes and ponds so far. Coarse fishing as my username suggests but now it's time to find my sea legs and hit the waves with some lead.

My Dad is not as young as he used to be and had a serious illness last year, he is lucky to be here but is not as fit as he used to be, jumping around rocks at night would be out but a place we could pitch a tent up and fish safely at night would be perfect, The huge concrete blocks at Haverigg are his old haunts and I think he would be comfortable there, he also used to shore fish at Silecroft, but that was because he lived there. we have our own transport and would love to hear suggestions of any suitable places where we can make a weekend of it.

Anywhere in Lancashire and Cumbria would be do-able for us, as I'm in one and dad is in the other, places where bait is readily available to dig or collect rather than buying would be an obvious advantage, I personally don't have much experience at collecting bait, I do remember digging Lug Worm at Haverigg, but thats as far as my knowledge goes, any hints and tips would be really appreciated, I'm sure dad has loads of knowledge on this subject but talking for a long time is not easy for him so I don't get to discuss much with him, piers or crowded places would not be very good for us really easy access places would be best.

Well I don't ask for much do I, I look forward to hearing any thoughts you guys have to help us on our quest for fishing enjoyment.

Thanks in advance.

I moved this from another thread cos it fizzled out without much info being offered at all after it being put there. I want to ask the question again,

can anyone offer advice on good spots to fish in the north west of england give or take a 100 miles or so, there must be hundreds of places to fish from but maybe people don't want to let there little secret's out for fear of overcrowding, thats fair enough, so can anyone tell us their second or third choice places that they don't get to often ?

lol
(wondering if anyone will get to the bottom of this even ;)
:cool:

·
Registered
961 Posts
You could try Arnside or Sandside on the Kent estuary. It is Mainly Flounder and Eel but it is easy fishing with very good access, in fact you could fish from the car at Sandside. The only downside is bait availability. The nearest I know is at Morecambe (2 bait Shops) locally you can dig some creeper (small ragworm) in the creeks at low water but you really need to know the area to find them.

Black or blow lug tipped with Mackeral catches fish even caught on lob worm but definately not as good as the usual sea baits.

Sorry never fish on the Cumbrian coast proper, Arnside is as far north as I travel but there are supposed to be some good spots up near Barrow ????

·
The Bean Counter
44,136 Posts
Sorry can't help you there too much. Good fishing can be found on the Wirral especially Dee estuary at this time of year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jon Law said:
You could try Arnside or Sandside on the Kent estuary. It is Mainly Flounder and Eel but it is easy fishing with very good access, in fact you could fish from the car at Sandside. The only downside is bait availability. The nearest I know is at Morecambe (2 bait Shops) locally you can dig some creeper (small ragworm) in the creeks at low water but you really need to know the area to find them.

Black or blow lug tipped with Mackeral catches fish even caught on lob worm but definately not as good as the usual sea baits.

Sorry never fish on the Cumbrian coast proper, Arnside is as far north as I travel but there are supposed to be some good spots up near Barrow ????

Thanks very much Jon, thats some real good info, I think I know Arnside, Grange comes into mind would it be near there, I know I can look it up on google and a map but theres nothing like personal experience to find nuggets of info, my dad will know more, but I dont get to talk to him on the phone, but I'm off up to the lakes this week to visit and start our sea fishing expeditions :) Fishing from the car sounds very interesting. thats the kind of nuggets of info I'm looking for, the out of the ordinary things a niave fisherman wouldn't think of, If I'm honest I never imagined being able to fish from a car ;)

My inexperience will be obvious after this question, what are your 'usual sea baits' if you don't mind me asking ? I know this is such a newbie q and I'll understand if you think it's too trivial to answer, no worries, but with my few months coarse fishing experience, I know its always best to go fishing as prepared as possible, of course free bait is good, but I don't mind spending a few quid or so to give us the best chance of catching, I was very surprised to discover some of the baits used up and down our lakes and ponds, all info gratefully accepted, should I get down to tesco's and pick up some mackeral ? is that a good all round bait ?

Thanks very much Jon, keep up the good work.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Sorry its my grammar ! I meant The lug tipped with mackeral is the usual sea bait here.

Arnside is opposite Grange over sands but access to Arnside from the north is down past Kendal heading for Milnthorpe, once in M/thorpe turn right at lights for Arnside, you will then pass Sandside, then you will understand about the fishing from the car, park by the railings flick your bait out and your in ! .......... but only over high water, its pretty empty at low. Arnside is about a mile further along the road, you pass under the railway bridge, turn right past the station and follow the promenade, you can fish here at low water though. follow the promenade all the way to the end, parking is along the railings again, at low water it is an easy 50yd walk to your left. Anywhere along there is good, short cast, take some grip leads, for if it really starts to pull through but over low water try an ordinary lead slightly flattened.

Good luck, in a bit of a rush off to Hartlepool now for a spot of pirking !!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jon, thats superb information, well done mate, good luck in hartlepool, you have managed to give us enough information there to set us off on our first expidition, Brilliant ! hopefully I'll letyou know all about it soon.

shaun
:cool:

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Hi Lancy.
A group of us from nr. Rochdale regularly fish Cleveleys(nr.Blackpool)
and also make the trip over to Anglesey as often as poss.
If you fancy joining us you will be made more than welcome,,,,,PM me if
you`re interested.
All the best bud,
Terry F. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts