World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,has anybody out there done any good with soft plastic lures such as shads,jellyworms etc? I considered using them reef fishing in the tropics but was unsure how the hooks on the fitted weighted heads would cope.Do you think that such as the joey-mackeral type [i think they may be made by storm ] might even be slow trolled?

·
Registered
765 Posts
They work as well as anything in clearish water , as you say there are issues with the hooks and also they tend to get bitten in half a lot , because most things have huge teeth .

But as a snapper bait , they work fine , and I have had jacks on them but the hooks on the standard UK ones really arent up to too much of it .

I think its horses for courses if you are expecting to target fish under 10lbs then you will probably get away with it , but if you are looking to stop a 40lb Jack , then maybe not.

There are uprated jellies on the market for this type of fishing and you can troll the big storm jellys , but there are better lures for trolling .

i believe there was a big jelly called a seaducer around , designed for the Norway cod fishing and also Jim O,donnell was trying to import some monster shads from the states , which looked pretty good.

Any way there not that expensive so chuck one in the water and see what happens.

Regards Richard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts