World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all what solar panels are members running? The May Queens gave up the ghost and is no more ive got a 15A controller not even sure what size panel i need to replace yet

Circuit component Audio equipment Electronic component Electrical wiring Electronic engineering

this fell off the panel

Finger Circuit component Engineering Electronic engineering Gadget

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
I not to bother with that one Tim.
This to say size to be 28cmx58cm.
I do to have 2x 50 W panels both to cost over £60 and both to be close to twice this size.

If it to just keep it topped up for bilge i to think 1 or 2 50W to be fine.
I to like 2 for redundancy.
My house bank to be 240ah
My engine bank to be 220ah. 50W each do to keep more than.
I to have a split charge relay to link the two bank. If one did to fail the other to charge both.
I do run main bilge on engine and back up bilge onto house. I too on a mooring But i not to look out my window to see my boat 😍

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
To stop corrosion onto the conrol onto the back of the panel you can either to seal with silicone or to put epoxy into it. Both will to waterproof it and not harm.

It to sound like you have a 50-100W panel Tim. Probably 100W or maybe 75.

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i like the victron stuff and im ripping out the boats engine charge side and replacing with victron units so i will sell a gun or a child and get the kit above it means i can charge both house and engine battery

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
Do to remember most charge control do to do 2 batteries these days. Even the one in the ebay link did to do 2.
The reason i to like 2 panels is if one panel, or controller to break it to still have 1 panel and controller to charge. To add a split charge relay not neccessary and can to be removed if it did to stop working both to then be run from the one charge controller while i did to replace. Normally the split charge relay to never be working as both panels to workand to charge okay.

When i did to boat last seagulls did to leave stones on to one of my panels.
I to hope they not smash crab or shell on to my panel but they may to do it. To have 2 panels does to mean again if they to smash one it not to matter.

Victron to be good make though Tim. I to like it too.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
I got to be honest. A 1000W panel plus controller doent go sub 50 quid. There is something awfully wrong there. My 180W panel and a 20 Amp controller goes for near 600 quid. However, please take a punt and if it's valid I'll take his whole stock. All of it.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Current Output: 10 A or Less System Configuration: Hybrid
Current Rating: 2.6-5.78 A

sub 100W. He's done it to all his stock. 1000W at 1 volt maybe. Still to be fair if it aint complete junk it's a good price but at that price I suspect you will get what you pay for. Junk!

·
Premium Member
3,353 Posts
I got to be honest. A 1000W panel plus controller doent go sub 50 quid. There is something awfully wrong there. My 180W panel and a 20 Amp controller goes for near 600 quid. However, please take a punt and if it's valid I'll take his whole stock. All of it.
I did to buy similar for a 200W for the vegetable mafia cctv Bruce and to automatic water. It did to turn out tiny. I did to return. It to never be 200W. I to think this the same.

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Current Output: 10 A or Less System Configuration: Hybrid
Current Rating: 2.6-5.78 A

sub 100W. He's done it to all his stock. 1000W at 1 volt maybe. Still to be fair if it aint complete junk it's a good price but at that price I suspect you will get what you pay for. Junk!

im going for the victron kit mate just need wait and save a little. buy cheap buy twice

·
Registered
992 Posts
As Jude says Tim, steer clear of that eBay listing. Chinese seller. No way that panel is a 1000 watt - I've got 2x 20 watt panels charging 2 deep cycle batteries through a controller for lights at the top of the garden and each of my 20 watt panels is bigger than that eBay one. Sound advice from Jude as always. My panels came from a genuine solar expert that was on eBay but he doesn't seem to be on there lately - shame as I have room for another 2 panels and would have bought from him again. Mine have been running faultlessly for about 6 years.
Have you looked at BBL's website? Store on Marshall road, Plympton. My deep cycle batteries & new car batteries came from them - great guys to deal with, good prices, and they do solar panels & stuff as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts