World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the old man down to soldiers point Tues eve. Fished 6-30 - 10pm.
Bait was fresh mackie fished on pulley rigs. Workman have fixed lines across some of the bays making fishing difficult in some places but there was only one other guy fishing further round in the bay. Weed was a pain until about 1hr before high. Had a few knocks which I think were eels until about 9-30 when I had a good run on the rod baited with a small head. After a good fight I beached a nice bass estimated at 5lb not a speciman but my best so far this year. While the prospect of eating it was very appealing it was returned. Will definately give it another go soon wih crab as well as mackies next time.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Took the old man down to soldiers point Tues eve. Fished 6-30 - 10pm.
Bait was fresh mackie fished on pulley rigs. Workman have fixed lines across some of the bays making fishing difficult in some places but there was only one other guy fishing further round in the bay. Weed was a pain until about 1hr before high. Had a few knocks which I think were eels until about 9-30 when I had a good run on the rod baited with a small head. After a good fight I beached a nice bass estimated at 5lb not a speciman but my best so far this year. While the prospect of eating it was very appealing it was returned. Will definately give it another go soon wih crab as well as mackies next time.
Nice fish, well done. I was fishing the arm on the same night and just wish I'd had the energy to pack up and move as I was plagued by noisy teenagers where I was attempting to coax out some bass. Shame really as most of the activity on the arm was from half way to the end. I managed one small bass on live prawns and kept hoping that they'd pack up and go home before the tide dropped too much - but not to be :(.
Joined up with Bally further down the arm later on, mainly in the hope that a few sole would turn up, but no joy on that front either.

still was good to get out fishing and Paul and I cleaned up the arm and emptied the bin liners - always good to catch up with other SAS members and chat. :)

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Well done Peachie. All these reports of some decent bass in the rivers is making me want to book an early flight back to the UK. Please dont catch anymore until after the 13th August....... ;)

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Well done Peachie. All these reports of some decent bass in the rivers is making me want to book an early flight back to the UK. Please dont catch anymore until after the 13th August....... ;)
Sorry, but after we've cleaned up on the hounds we'll have to start on the river bass. I'm sure there'll still be few schoolies left by the time you get back though :whistling

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mesito, sorry the fishing on the arm was not good and its an endless task clearing up the rubbish well done. I am staying away from there until the kids go back to school although its nice to see young people enjoying the sport. Any idea how the guy fishing round the corner from me got on?. A mate of mine fished the adur monday about 50yds before the toll bridge and had 4 bass on crab not big but the biggest was about 4lb. Seems like there are a few more better fish in the river than the sea at the moment. Its been a funny summer so far and I must admit I am starting to look foward to autumn now, wonder if we shall see some early codling from the widewater again??

·
Registered
812 Posts
I am starting to look foward to autumn now, wonder if we shall see some early codling from the widewater again??
Nooooooo! Don't wish away the summer just yet :sun: it feels like it's only just begun with the nice weather of the last week or so.........................although I do tend to agree it'll be interesting to see if the cod run is comparable or perhaps better than last year.....but not just yet! :) Nice work on the bass too!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Mesito, sorry the fishing on the arm was not good and its an endless task clearing up the rubbish well done. I am staying away from there until the kids go back to school although its nice to see young people enjoying the sport. Any idea how the guy fishing round the corner from me got on?. A mate of mine fished the adur monday about 50yds before the toll bridge and had 4 bass on crab not big but the biggest was about 4lb. Seems like there are a few more better fish in the river than the sea at the moment. Its been a funny summer so far and I must admit I am starting to look foward to autumn now, wonder if we shall see some early codling from the widewater again??
Sorry I didn't see whoever it was fishing round the corner from you or I may well have wandered over to find out. Your right about the river bass, there seem to be plenty of them about and I think I'll have go next set of rest days. I agree about the kids too, despite the annoyance of their noisyness it's good to see them fishing and not boozing on street corner and I certainly couldn't bring myself to complain.
Keeping my fingers crossed about the codling - lets hope there aren't too many whiting about to mop up the baits before they have a chance to have go!

·
Registered
213 Posts
nice one mate
will it be worth a go tomorrow on the day tide iwth crad and makkie?
might give it a go?

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
Sorry, but after we've cleaned up on the hounds we'll have to start on the river bass. I'm sure there'll still be few schoolies left by the time you get back though :whistling
I think if I was in Sunny Brighton right now, I would be looking at clear calm nights on the Hove beaches, fishing twenty yards out. I reckon the River bass are just there because there is too much competition on the beaches..........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts