World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,
Would like info on hot spots for big sole. have decided to give it a try years ago i did try covehithe a couple of times but no joy
what are best tides and is evening time best wouldnt mind info on rigs etc
we read about various ways in magazines but i think local knowledge is best.
hoping to here from you guys BIG fish to you all
tony

·
Registered
948 Posts
I fish for them regularly during the summer months at Lowestoft. Blow lug and rag are top baits using no 4 hooks on 3 hook flapper. Daylight sees most fish caught past the end of the groins and night times its better just inside of the groins. Calm days fish better than rough seas. Over last 7 years I have had only 3 soles over 2lb and they were isolated fish which is unusual for soles as they swim in pairs. The secret in catching them is to keep your rod low to the beach so all hooks are close to the bottom. Ignore the first couple of rattles they give as more often than not you wil pull the bait away from them. (Its hard to do as some of their bite are like cod bites and really rattle the rod.) I always fish 2 rods one close in with old french booms and one further out with short snood flapper. Best time at Lowestoft is last 3 hours of flood or ebb as tide is easing.
I have had a few at Gorleston in the harbour and have even pulled in a double shot. Bear in mind most soles caught are in the 8 to 12 oz range and the better fish come through later in the year and you will have many more blanks than you will have days catching.
Hope this helps
Dabslayer

·
Registered
849 Posts
There's usually plenty of 8oz to 1lb fish off Lowestoft Sth Pier during the warmer months, like dabs said you want a coloured but calm sea and evenings are better generally. I use french booms almost exclusively when sole fishing and find the raggy old bits of lug like those thats been nicked by the fork work very well.

·
Registered
346 Posts
All good tips there, the perfect conditions i find are warm, dead flat, coloured sea with HT about midnightish, June onwards.
Them ole booms do work well, they shouldn't effect your cast cos 50yds is usually the max needed and dont be afraid to drop 1 to 10yds, if tide allows use spikeless weights eg pyramid and the watch type, size 2 hooks max, rods low and virtually fishin with slack line.

Most beaches will produce sole south of yarmouth to Felixstowe, top spots i hear of are mostly btween Lowstft north and Aldeburgh, Covehithe as good as any.
Fish near groynes where poss, fresh rag (not farmed) just edging lug on the beaches but lug def best on Lowestft pier.
As has been said most fish are up to a lb with a smattering up to 2lb and the v occasional dinner plate.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Most beaches around Skegness area produce sole, I like to fish around the back of Butlins. If you aren't catching anything keep moving, move 20 yards at a time every 20 or 30 minutes until you do start catching. You need a high tide going in to darkness and it needs to be calm. Around Skegness I would personally use a 3 hook flapper but use a fish bait on one of the hooks as you can also pick up small turbot there. Keep your rod low so that all 3 hooks are on the sea bed. Good luck.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to you all i will take notice of all of your tips. most certainly the venues.
will let you know how i get on tight lines to you all and may all your fish be big ones
tony

·
Registered
190 Posts
if your after sole in chapel area in summer, you want to be not to far out and a high tide about 10 at nite and start fishing about 6 , seam to catch more on them tides in summer then still time for a beer lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts