World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After failing spectacularly to catch my first Sole of the year when making the 80 mile round trip to Shoreham West Arm last Friday the continued good weather convinced me to try a session closer to home on Clarence Beach last night. After picking up some ragworm from my friendly local digger I left the house at 7:15pm and was at my chosen mark by 7:30. There were still a few families on the beach enjoying the evening sunshine, but nothing that would impinge on the fishing and I soon had a 2 hook clip-down rigged up and pendulumed out to somewhere near the edge of the shipping channel. The other rod was set up with a 2 hook flapper and dropped in close, hoping for Bass or Bream while the sun was still up.

It wasn't long before the long rod gave a good pull down and shortly after I had my first fish on the beach, a little smut of about 2lb but big enough for the remaining sunbathers to point and exclaim at sharks being caught in Portsmouth :busted_co

As the sun went down I decided to try a bit of spinning with a Dexter, not a lot was doing here but I did get a solitary lonely Mackerel so it wasn't a wholly wasted effort. While spinning I had noticed a little tap tap tap on the close rod and soon after reeled this in to find a small Black Bream on the end. So far so good - just over an hours fishing for three species :) Another smut pup soon followed on the distance rod, and by now it was fully dark so concentration moved on to the close in rod.

Nothing much was happening here, baits were coming in untouched and apart from the Bream no bites had been seen. About 10pm I had a tiny Pout on the distance rod, then next cast as I was reeling in I got caught in a snag and lost everything from the leader knot. Every cast on the retrieve I had been pulling into something pretty solid about 50 - 60 yds out, usually pulling through but this time it got proper snagged. While I was dealing with this I noticed a good pull on the close in rod, going over to investigate I had a bit of slack line but when I tightened up I couldn't feel anything there.

While digging out a new shockleader I noticed another pull, again slack line and again nothing on tightening. I decided to give it a couple of more minutes then when I lifted the rod to dislodge the grip lead I could feel something pulling away on the other end. After a short tussle I was over the moon to see this coming through the surf and onto the shingle:

So chuffed I had to photograph it twice :fishing:

Carried on fishing for another hour with both rods targetted close in but no other bites until I packed in at about 12:15. A great little session with 5 species including my target species of Sole. A few days off the beach now but looking forward to trying for my next target Red Mullet next week then I'll be back at Clarence on the next good set of low tides to try my luck once again :thumbs:

·
Registered
368 Posts
any1 no if sat tide would be any good for sole at clarence,as low is at oo46.so would be fishing from dark down to low. as iv always caught sole ther from low water up.any help appretated. cheers.:punk:

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Given the time of LT and the fact it is quite a lazy tide I'd be tempted to fish Gilkicker if you are looking to fish the ebb from dusk till around LT.

Depending on the weed (and that is a big depending) 'kicker can throw anything up including the Sole you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Well done on your Sole, brilliant result, and nice species tally too!

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Excellent fishing with a just reward. Hope it tasted fantastic!!!!!
Thanks Rob (and everyone else). Didn't really expect to get one to be honest, it is still very early for Sole in this neck of the woods. But then everything seems to be early this year (heres hoping the cod follow the trend). As for the fish it's still in the fridge "maturing", looking forward to enjoying it tomorrow though with baby new potatoes and a side sald.

·
Banned
1,163 Posts
well done, im off to do my 1st session of the year this weekend....
got the rod and like it. p me for a casting session

After failing spectacularly to catch my first Sole of the year when making the 80 mile round trip to Shoreham West Arm last Friday the continued good weather convinced me to try a session closer to home on Clarence Beach last night. After picking up some ragworm from my friendly local digger I left the house at 7:15pm and was at my chosen mark by 7:30. There were still a few families on the beach enjoying the evening sunshine, but nothing that would impinge on the fishing and I soon had a 2 hook clip-down rigged up and pendulumed out to somewhere near the edge of the shipping channel. The other rod was set up with a 2 hook flapper and dropped in close, hoping for Bass or Bream while the sun was still up.

It wasn't long before the long rod gave a good pull down and shortly after I had my first fish on the beach, a little smut of about 2lb but big enough for the remaining sunbathers to point and exclaim at sharks being caught in Portsmouth :busted_co

As the sun went down I decided to try a bit of spinning with a Dexter, not a lot was doing here but I did get a solitary lonely Mackerel so it wasn't a wholly wasted effort. While spinning I had noticed a little tap tap tap on the close rod and soon after reeled this in to find a small Black Bream on the end. So far so good - just over an hours fishing for three species :) Another smut pup soon followed on the distance rod, and by now it was fully dark so concentration moved on to the close in rod.

Nothing much was happening here, baits were coming in untouched and apart from the Bream no bites had been seen. About 10pm I had a tiny Pout on the distance rod, then next cast as I was reeling in I got caught in a snag and lost everything from the leader knot. Every cast on the retrieve I had been pulling into something pretty solid about 50 - 60 yds out, usually pulling through but this time it got proper snagged. While I was dealing with this I noticed a good pull on the close in rod, going over to investigate I had a bit of slack line but when I tightened up I couldn't feel anything there.

While digging out a new shockleader I noticed another pull, again slack line and again nothing on tightening. I decided to give it a couple of more minutes then when I lifted the rod to dislodge the grip lead I could feel something pulling away on the other end. After a short tussle I was over the moon to see this coming through the surf and onto the shingle:

So chuffed I had to photograph it twice :fishing:

Carried on fishing for another hour with both rods targetted close in but no other bites until I packed in at about 12:15. A great little session with 5 species including my target species of Sole. A few days off the beach now but looking forward to trying for my next target Red Mullet next week then I'll be back at Clarence on the next good set of low tides to try my luck once again :thumbs:

·
Registered
872 Posts
well done mate

nice size most of mine over last couple years only 30 to 34 cm.

I did 2 hours last night..poor fishing, just had a 27cm bream last cast...

(especialy when u have 100lb of smutts 6 days b4)

4 LOUD lads turned up and started fishing 15 yrds or so next to me..which blow my chances..all chatting,bright lights, constantly walking about.....difference between danglers and anglers..lol

Its still early and good signs for things to come...

iLL be trying hill head cliffs soon too!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
well done mate nice fish. i was just down the road last night by the round tower, but nothing to report all blanked

·
Registered
315 Posts
Nice fish . I had 3 in a match on sunday. The venue was Bromborough on the Mersey They were 29 ,30 and 41 cm. the biggest weighed 2-0-8, a PB, club record and NWASAC record. Only caught one before in 28 years of fishing then take 3 in 1 day!

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Only lost the one set of gear on the retrieve, this was on the distance rod which was prob hitting 120 odd yards pendulum cast. That said on every retrieve I was pulling into a snag about 50 yards out then pulling through it, except for the once when I got caught solid.

Didn't cast any distance after that as I'd just caught the Sole so I fished both rods close in for the rest of the session.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts