World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a break from Angling due to one thing or another, an opportunity arose to venture out on my Friends Boat and Terrorise the Fish in The Bristol Channel.

Deviating from our regular Marks we decided to head up North and hit the Shallow Waters for that Elusive Flatfish, the Sole and anything else that may pop up in shallow waters with less fierce tide rips.

Well at each Mark (we dropped Anchor at 3 Northerly Marks) it was Full-on. Rays a Go-Go (All Thornies) and the few Breakdancing - back-spinning Congers.

These Bites were NOT for the Faint Hearted as they were savage assaults on your Tackle. Some resulted by being snapped off on a few Bites as you couldn't slacken the drag quick enough! But My Friend Chris had specifically set one rod up with size 8 hooks for the Sole. He had one too. An 18Inch Cracker that fell to some Top Lug from a Retailer based in Llantrisant. He was chuffed as a Mexican Bouncing Bean!

Oh and the Soul Train Pic - well thats going to be the Eurphoria Dance after its been Weighed, Filleted and Consumed!

Few Pics attached Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Very nice. Any more pics of the sole?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its a UK Record from my understanding, though Chris already filleted it by the time I told him that the record since 2005 was 4lb 6oz. I took some other pictures of it with Chris holding it up. It fought like a Bass (as we use light spinning rods and reels in the BC) and as soon as a Brown Round head emerged from the side of the boat I had the net ready to scoop it up in one movement. He was thrilled to bits. The thickness of the fish must have been somewhere near 3 inches. We both didn't know what it was until its head popped out of the surface as it ran deep all the way til the very end. Thats going to be a tough one to match or beat.

Size 8 Drennan long shank hook, black Lugworm bait, a Diawa Saltiga 10,000 Reel and A Shimano Ocea Popper Ltd rod was the gear he used.

Oh btw: All of out Thornback Rays - and we must have had around 15 of them, were all Female. Must have been some sort of "Mass Gathering" that day.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More pics so you can appreciate that this is truly a specimen of a Fish! Chris thought it was a Bass until that round brown head popped out of the Water! Size 8 freshwater hooks on the Boat too!

Attachments

·
Team Loonz
8,201 Posts
Now thats a sole.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts