World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First bit of East Coast fishing for me for maybe a month or two. So I was eagerly looking forward to using a bit of lug after fannying around with feathers, sliding livebait rigs and gawd knows what else down on the South Coast to absolutely no avail.

Met up with the Macketer last night at about 18:30 at the end of the Bavents car park intent on a Sole offensive.

Off we trotted left and past a couple of guys already set up. I should think we ended 200 yards past the end of the sea defences, just past one of Suffolks most precariously perched houses.
I'd be booking a hotel for the first Autumn storms if I were them. Don't think however much DIY shoring up they manage will keep that one up top.

Anyways. The title of the thread is a little misleading as whilst I was still consulting a GCSE Physics textbook to help me with my new Sole rig I heard a whoop from up the beach. The jammy bugger had got one first chuck.
It was probably a keeper and I would of kept it as I've forgotten what one looks like, a fish that is and my cupa soup diet is starting to wear thin. But back it went.
Out went the quantum theory and on went the bait.

Unfortunately it was a false dusk as try as we might in almost perfect Soleing conditions, dropping winds, flattening sea, warm, rising midnight tide, decent bait e.t.c e.tc we couldn't add to the tally.
I was devastated to end my long, consistent and faultfull run of blanks with a 5inch Eel at around 9'ish, quickly followed by a smaller Bass.
Mack added a 5inch Bass and that was as they say that.

We packed up somewhere round midnight and on the chat back to the cars I reckon the tally was somewhere around maybe 7 Sole, with 3 unseen 'keepers' included between roughly 16 or 17 rods..

How I resisted stringing 6 Lug onto a couple of 5/0's and blasting it as far as I could, I'll never know.

Where: Eastern Bavents
What Time: 18:30 - 00:00
Tide: HW somewhere around 00:00, eased right off in the last hour or two.
Bait: Lug and Rag
Distance: 0 yards+
Result: 1 Sole, 2 midget Bass and an Elver.

·
Registered
475 Posts
You must of been itching to chuck a pennel rig on:ph34r: sounds like the perfect night for sole shame you didnt get more, not to long to go now dan will see you soon.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep Darren I was, only for something to do mind...
I might actually head down there this weekend sometime. I've got a spot in mind for the Sole. I'm determined to catch one of the buggers and Alde throws up some good ones.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Unlucky Dan, nice report, shame about the fish, I keep finding myself wondering if/when the summer fishing will get consistantly any better or we'll just drift into the Cod season with another poor summer passing by.

AL ..

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I reckon it might be the latter unfortunately with half an eye on what might happen, good or bad this Winter.
I've had an awful Summers sea fishing.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Cheers for doing the report Dan, good to catch up again anyway mate.
What a dismal summer this has been so far, can only get better - I hope!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Are you feeling alright Dan? Can't you just hibernate until the cod season like the rest of East Anglia?
Those small hooks and baits are pathetic. The hook sizes should stop at 3/0 with that being the smallest.
I've been wiring up some shore tope traces and nearly put an 8/0 under a float the other night for a mullet..............:whistling

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Well 10/10 for the effect chaps, I always found sole so difficult.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Best sole I ever had was the Dirty Wall at Aldeburgh in the early 80's. It was the size of a dustbin lid and took lug on a pennel intended for cod at the end of September!
THANK COD FOR FISHING!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Aldeburgh and Orford do tend to throw up a few sole. Last year on the September beach clean there were a fair few good size ones caught.
Lets hope there is a few this year.:bleh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts