World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys, went out today with a good forecast the sea was as flat your hat, and the sun shone, smoothounds were the main target and they were in good form with 25 coming to the boat ranging from 8-13lbs bait was hermit crab and squid the crabs doing the most damage, garfish are in in good numbers with small shoals of them following baits to the surface, whiting and bream were the surprises of the day the best bream being just a tad over 3lbs falling to small squid strip on a paternoster rig. dogs were in plague proportions but using crab baits stopped them from getting caught, a total of 69 fish between 5 rods gave us a very relaxing and enjoyable day, our buddy boat went out to the forty mile wrecks and caught nowt, he then dropped back into the 35 mile wrecks and again blanked, the thirty mile wrecks were holding pollack to 10lbs but there was a french boat towing a longline of lures over the wrecks and taking five at a time, He had thirty pollack in the end but thought the fuel and time used was excessive for the end result. They are now comming in and the next spring tide should see the arrival of more and as the weather hots up they will start to move closer inshore. one other thing the infamous solent weed problem is starting already so a long hot summer could be on the cards.

·
Registered
18 Posts
have you tried using spider crabs as bait for smuts,i use them off the beach ,there deadly,you'll catch bass as well with them, i usually get mine around the end of may as they come into peel,i know people used them off of marks between hurst and cowes with good results,there have been a few around the 20lb mark, and bass around 9lb taken on them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts