World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think on these ?? www.solentfisher.co.uk ?? has anybody got 1 or know of 1.Not a bad price or spec ,although very light at hull only approx 400kg even allowing for modern materials :mellow:.

Thanks
Ian

G

·
What do you think on these ?? www.solentfisher.co.uk ?? has anybody got 1 or know of 1.Not a bad price or spec ,although very light at hull only approx 400kg even allowing for modern materials :mellow:.

Thanks
Ian
It's basically a professionaly built Wilson flyer. I may be wrong, but I think it's only class D rated, not C.

Quite frankly, not a boat I'd be too happy to find myself in if the weather & sea turned nasty offshore, but for close inshore work, and as they say, estuaries, it should pass.

Much better if you're prepared to spend that sort of money to invest a little more and get a craft that will cope with more extreme conditions. And believe me, those more extreme conditions can arrive with very little warning!

·
Registered
3,150 Posts

Thanks
Ian
That is very light for a 17 footer. A pity though as I was looking at it. The hull only looked a very good deal. However that weight did put me off. My 15ft Seahog Jeep hull is 350kg. My 15ft Seahog Shortie was 400kg. The 510 is C rated though according to the info on the site. "Full CE approval Category C." As PH points out, looking for something with a bit more weight and seaworthiness would seem to be a better option.

G

·
. The 510 is C rated though according to the info on the site. "Full CE approval Category C." As PH points out, looking for something with a bit more weight and seaworthiness would seem to be a better option.
Thanks, David, for taking the trouble to determine it's rating. So many Flyers were 'D' that I didn't look too far.

Sorry, but I'm a conservative traditionalist. I equate seaworthiness with 'V' hulls. Also, even with GRP, a "Clinker" finish tells me the hull will be better built to resist whatever is thrown at it; that's why Orkneys, Warriors, Rievers and Explorer Elites are moulded that way. For a seaworthy, safe boat in that size, those are the types to look at, in my opinion.

Honestly, if a force 6 squall blows up with tide across existing swell and wind from another quarter, ten Nm's + from harbour, which would you rather be in?

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
Sorry, but I'm a conservative traditionalist. I equate seaworthiness with 'V' hulls. Also, even with GRP, a "Clinker" finish tells me the hull will be better built to resist whatever is thrown at it; that's why Orkneys, Warriors, Rievers and Explorer Elites are moulded that way. For a seaworthy, safe boat in that size, those are the types to look at, in my opinion.
Does that mean you would discount Cheetah Cats? plenty of commercial fishermanm use them in some pretty extreme conditions. Not just big ones either.

G

·
Cheetah Cats have some "ribbing" in the moulds for increased rigidity, running back to the chine.

I'm prejudiced in favour of monohulls, but that's all it is -prejudice. I did once tow in two-thirds of a racing trimaran, which didn't help change my opinion of multis.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your posts fellas.i'l carry on looking for a used warrior 165 then.:thumbs:

Ian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts