World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for some advice. Lucky enough to have the use of a van at lymington....never caught a ray in any size shape or form so when do they start running around the solent, best beaches to target, best baits (though I'm sure nothing beats sandeels and crab), best rigs, sort of tackle, line strength etc, weather.

All advice gratefully recieved.

Tight lines,

Andy:notworthy

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hello mate.
Plenty of Rays around normally - bit early yet, but with the mild weather, a few have come out already. Frozen sandeeel bait, pennel style, most common, but I always favour fresh pout strip - just a personal thing, Sandeel is sometimes a lot easier to get !
Species are mainly Small eyed, but also spotteds make an appearance. Try anywhere along the beaches from Highcliffe through to the start of Hurst Shingle. Distance casting can pay off - most of the beaches have in places, a sandbar that is 80 - 120 yrds out, so shorter or longer than this gets results sometimes. Plonking a bait on the middle of the Sandbar more often than not, will not produce. Decent tides on moonless nights preferred but not always necessary, along with moderate to calm conditions. If you are experiencing a tide run, the Rays will be there. I would give either Hordle cliff or the Whitehouse a go first. Hordle - bigger of the two car parks, down the steps and to the end of the Beach huts to the right, Whitehouse - walk round to the right and 2 - 3 groynes past the end of the building, just past the rocks, will put you in the right area. I dont go that often, so would personally not go for another 6 weeks, but as already stated, a few have been taken already by keen as Mustad fellas.

Good luck,
Mart.

·
Registered
184 Posts
hello m8,have a look in general fishing forum under fish id,i caught this spotted ray on hayling front on 17th feb this year.well chuffed.:notworthy :clap2:

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
Hello mate.
Plenty of Rays around normally - bit early yet, but with the mild weather, a few have come out already. Frozen sandeeel bait, pennel style, most common, but I always favour fresh pout strip - just a personal thing, Sandeel is sometimes a lot easier to get !
Species are mainly Small eyed, but also spotteds make an appearance. Try anywhere along the beaches from Highcliffe through to the start of Hurst Shingle. Distance casting can pay off - most of the beaches have in places, a sandbar that is 80 - 120 yrds out, so shorter or longer than this gets results sometimes. Plonking a bait on the middle of the Sandbar more often than not, will not produce. Decent tides on moonless nights preferred but not always necessary, along with moderate to calm conditions. If you are experiencing a tide run, the Rays will be there. I would give either Hordle cliff or the Whitehouse a go first. Hordle - bigger of the two car parks, down the steps and to the end of the Beach huts to the right, Whitehouse - walk round to the right and 2 - 3 groynes past the end of the building, just past the rocks, will put you in the right area. I dont go that often, so would personally not go for another 6 weeks, but as already stated, a few have been taken already by keen as Mustad fellas.

Good luck,
Mart.
Great effort on the advice mate :notworthy nice to see it.

Andy............I am particularly busy at the mo' but I have read your pm and will speak soon mate.

Take care.

Andy. :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
a good spotted ray mark is Gilkicker in gosport the biggest had in the past two years has been 6 and a half lb me and Hampshire angler have had plenty of em his biggest is 4lb10oz mine 3lb12oz but this yar a 5lber has already showed and the numbers are due in any time now also browndown bwach up in the middle is very productive for thornies the odd spotted can also be caught squid up kicker for em and rag and peeler baits down browndown.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers for the advice all!! I'll be giving it a crack hopefully a week or so after easter so that should be perfect.

Andy mate no problems, I'll pm you when I know exactly what I'm doing but those first 3 weeks of july are a go as long as there's no major mishaps,

Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts