World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished the Solent on my own 2 weeks ago and the weed was dreadful, everywhere I went was virtually un-fishable, so this Saturday I decided to head out looking for Mackerel and Bass. My mate joined me on his boat because we can't realistically socially distance on my Merry Fisher.

So we set off at 06:00 and found loads of birds working but no Mackerel, all seemed to be school Bass but nothing on the feathers and not interested in lures, apart from the smallest Mackerel I have ever seen on a small metal.

We decided on a few hours on the lures and caught numerous Bass, I had between 20 and 30 but my mate had double that number, he really is a Bass magnet. Most were schoolies but a few up around 50cm and all returned.

A great day out in glorious weather.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Its getting easier to catch bass than mackerel these days but everyone enjoys a days in the sun with lots of fish:thumbsup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for giving me hope! I’ve caught bass all over the U.K. but I can’t pull one out of The Solent on a lure (a bit of a bugger when I’m using Gosport Marina!).
I’ve caught plenty on bait, last time out we lost count of the number of schoolies, but no matter what flashy, wriggly, brightly coloured lure I use I blank.

On a brighter note I’ve just had a cracking week using lures off the shore in Cornwall, the biggest problem was avoiding the mackerel!!!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Sounds like a very pleasant day indeed.

The Solent is full of small bass. Some scad too. Need to go past Needles to find Mackerel.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
Thanks for giving me hope! I’ve caught bass all over the U.K. but I can’t pull one out of The Solent on a lure (a bit of a bugger when I’m using Gosport Marina!).
I’ve caught plenty on bait, last time out we lost count of the number of schoolies, but no matter what flashy, wriggly, brightly coloured lure I use I blank.

On a brighter note I’ve just had a cracking week using lures off the shore in Cornwall, the biggest problem was avoiding the mackerel!!!
stay tied up in your mooring in the marina
Early mornings or dusk

probably stand a rather good chance chucking a lure about in there

or just troll nice n steady around the corner and keep tight as you dare to the rocks around the exit of the marina up past haslar
Then anywhere along the front wall, if from the boat!, steady tick over troll chucking lures shoreward

1 - 6 of 6 Posts