World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, does anyone have any experience of the Fladen Maxximus solid carbon boat rod series?

I just bought a 20-40lb rated one at 8' length, but on closer inspection I saw a maximum jig weight of 120g. I'm going to use it Sunday (weather permitting) but am now a little unsure if it'll be up to the equivalent of a 20-30lb rated rod, for say, wreck pollack. Anyone with some first hand knowledge with advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Max.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Hello, does anyone have any experience of the Fladen Maxximus solid carbon boat rod series?

I just bought a 20-40lb rated one at 8' length, but on closer inspection I saw a maximum jig weight of 120g. I'm going to use it Sunday (weather permitting) but am now a little unsure if it'll be up to the equivalent of a 20-30lb rated rod, for say, wreck pollack. Anyone with some first hand knowledge with advice would be appreciated.
Thanks, Max.
they are up to it just a bit flobby in the action if your useing braid will help!

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I have a 12lb 8 footer and I really rate it - but its defo a braid rod. Used it for Pollack and Tope with 20lb Whiplash - perfect!

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
mate had a 16lb thornie on his, bent it right over but good sport on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have been using one of the new 20-40lb 8' Solid C rods for a couple of trips in the last month. Its an enjoyable rod to use:

1. As with the 6'6" model, it is very light and can be held all day
2. Extra length over previous version means you can easily fish under the boat or rest again boat rails when you have to rest it.
2. Can happily take 1lb lead.
3. The heaviest fish I've had so far has only been a 20lb conger, so not really tested. However, after the initial compression, it has sufficient power for the class of rod. I would be confident it would cope with most of the fish we normally catch in southern UK waters. Sure, some very big fish may over-test it, but there is no point designing for the less likely catches.
4. Finish is as the older model and I suspect it will still need attention with some Salt X or WD40 to prevent rust on the rod rings. However, a minor point and not unique to this rod.

I'm not certain it would be a "core" rod for any angler, but it you can get it at the right price, you'll enjoy fishing with it.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
only use the 6'6 version in 20-40 and it gets absolutley hammered every week wrecking from whitby, pirks up to 10--12oz tops
very easy to work and light to hold
as everyone else states they are definatley a braid rod
the rings do rust, but i have completely re-ringed it from top to bottom ( looks better with yellow + blue whippings )
if you use a reel clamp like on the slosh's etc, dont nip it up that little bit extra as it will shatter the reel seat ( done this already ) and had to replace ( right pain cutting all cork off and redoing)
overall lovely rods and you will enjoy the sport

krysb

·
Registered
317 Posts
Fished and crewed on Tiger Lily with Chris Caines for 4 days this week.

He has the full range of fladden gear on his boat as he is sponsored by them.

I tried four different rods in all. Excellent blanks.

Fittings a bit dodgey!

First thing I would do is remove tip ring, clean up and reglue as I used 6 rods for a set of anglers on another boat the week before and nearly every rod had the tip ring loose.

I used a 150cm little stubby short thing with a 6500 mag with 16lb braid as a challenge at anchor in 200 feet of water. Handled 1lb lead no probs. Had congers to 40lb and Ling to 25lb which Chris took a picky of for the main man at fladden. Great fun. Will post some pickies when I get them.

The rods are superb for all-round fishing. drift Wrecking fishing. Bassing. flatties.

T

·
0 Posts
They are excellent blanks if you like that sort of action (spaghetti).

As BBJones above said the fittings are pants, but what do you expect at that price.

Personally I prefer a bit more beef in the backbone and a reasonably soft tip, but each to their own.

My biggest concern is that you state if "it'll be up to the equivalent of a 20-30lb rated rod, for say, wreck pollack".

If you are using 20-30lb class for Pollacking then you are spoiling your day's sport.
I can't think of a reason why you would ever need more than 20lb class and that is a broomstick.
20-30lb is the rods I will be using sharking in the latter part of the Summer.
The majority of anglers will use somethig of between 12lb (ideal) and 20lb class (heavy) for Pollacking. My own current favourites are my Shimano Speedmaster 6/12, a Beastmaster inline 100g and I am waiting with baited breath for my new custom Alba UK6lb class.

Go lighter and have much more fun!!!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Been using a variety of Solid C rods over the past few years and like them alot for a good fun light tackle rod. I have a 6'6'' 10 - 30g spinning rod used with a Shimano Callisto and 20lb Berkley Whiplash which if is really fun for light pollack fishing (bent double on a 6lb pollack, but makes smaller 2-3lb fish a lot more fun than on 12lb class gear). I have a 6'6'' 10-20lb class rod which i combine with a Abu 6000 and 20lb Whiplash, this rod i use for bigger pollack in faster tides, but it also handles up to 6oz of leead and is nice for general scratching as it make smaller fish more fun to catch. The last one i own is the 8' 20-40 class rod (think more 12lb class) combo with a Daiwa SL20SH or Penn 525 and 35lb powerpro braid. This is a good rod for fishing for doggy, huss, gurnard, conger, ray and tope and general downtiding, although can be used for gentally lobbing a bait away from the boat due to its length. I like the action as it means you have ultimate contact with the fish and the sensitivity allows you to really enjoy the fight. Although not everybodys cup of tea, plus low quality fitting these rods are decent value and a hell of a lot of fun. As mentioned even small fish with such a light rod will put a smile on your face garaunteed, which has to be better than just going throuh the motions of winching it in?

T

·
0 Posts
Just a passing thought and possibly a little off topic (sorry), but the Solid C's do appear to be massively over rated in their lb class.
The lower rating is often where I think most of us would class them, possibly lower still.

In the past I have purchased some "Downrigger" rods that have had similarly ludicrously high ratings written on them and am just wondering if perhaps people use heavy B/S lines when downrigging?

Never done it myself so I couldn't tell, however I still have somewhere at the back of my cupboard an Abu downrigging rod with a line class rating of 12lb to 25lb.
This rod bends double with 6oz of lead on it and I would say it is closer to 6lb class.

I know that when downrigging, a healthy bend is put in the rod (needs to be softish so it doesn't spring the line clip down at the weight) and the rod "springs" out when it gets a take....?
Just a thought, but maybe Solid C's are specifically manufactured with braid and this style of fishing in mind....?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the comments, very enlightening.
I think I'll team the rod up with an Abu 7000 and 20lb braid and will lure fish the wrecks with my trusty 8" black redgill.
Just discovered my Sunday wrecking trip cancelled, but as soon as I get out I'll give a report on how the rod fared. Max.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
All i will say is that the 7000 (which version?) may feel a little big for the rod. If you hold it you will know what i mean about the slim diameter of the blank. I would suggest that an Abu 6000 or Daiwa SL20SH may be a better sized reel. If your using braid then you will get plenty of line on it and backing. The 6000 will have plenty of power to stop a double figure pollack, cod or large bass despite what people say about them not being strong enough, one thing i might suggest would be to just replace the pinion as this only costs around £5 and makes a difference to the reel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts