World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mate and I went for an afternoon bash today. Decided that instead of digging worms we would have a hunt for a few crabs. A few was correct, I only got one proper peeler, and a mix of around twenty softies and crinklies in ninety minutes. The area had been given its usual going over during the holiday spell. Weed covered rocks upturned, and flat stones stood up like gravestones. No point in putting them back to original positions as the clowns will just overturn them again. Anyway weatherwise, a mixture of sunshine and heavy showers in a brisk Westerly wind. Still got a sore foot, so long walk out of the question. Went to a wee quiet spot arriving as the tide began to flow. Sea was highly coloured with the water the colour of orange, which later turned milky before reverting to normal as it neared high tide at 7 p.m. Sport today was very poor, two rods each and only three small flounder between us to show for the effort. Hope for another afternoon session tomorrow if weather is half decent, but will be digging lugworm this time.

·
Registered
49 Posts
yes brisk is one way to describe the wind,i was at powillimont tonight tried crab but nothing on that all my flaties came on lug worm(dabs and flounder)got some pic's so i hope they come up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Unlucky mate was down looking for crab last friday and it was the same rocks not put back in place you could see that they have been turned over by someone :thumbdown, hope you have better luck tomorrow :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pictures came out fine, although it took me a wee while to see them! They show a flounder and two plaice. Not seen a single dab this season.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aye, did not fancy long walk with sore paw, so stayed local. Out again today, should have had more sense ! Nice morning so digging worms by 2 pm. Managed to get 80 in just over an hour which I reckoned would suffice for a four hour session with 2 rods. Wind yesterday was bad, but today it was worse, and the rain heavier and more prolonged. Weather and small tide today meant the water did not go far out, so only had a couple of hundred yards to walk from the high water mark to the low. A plaice straight away, about a pound and a half, after that the bait robbers were hyper active, checked hooks every 10 minutes and always bare. Found a big soft crab, and presented this, but it went the same way, so I believe the culprits were shrimps. Anyway caught one more plaice, a wee one and a flounder. Ran out of bait at 7 pm. and that was a relief. Not another angler seen on the shoreline today, as usual. Did not bother taking any pictures as it was too wet to take the camera out of the tackle box.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts