World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may some stupid but i've finally bought my first boat (seahog hunter )and need some questions answered,could all you expierenced boat men out there help me out .I've read on a site about a boat licence but nobody has mentioned to me about this ,what is it and do i need one before i use the boat.VHF radio,do i need a licence to use this if so how do i get one..?????
thanks

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
There is no license for a boat unless you are taking people out for hire, comercial gain.

To listen to a VHF you do not need a license but to use it to transmit you do, it is a short course and then you pay an annual fee.

There are courses availabe and loads of advice available on the net. Check out

http://www.rya.org.uk/

http://www.rnli.org.uk/Home.asp

Try to get someone with experience to take you out a few times as a guiding hand if things go pear shaped. If there are any boat fishing clubs in your area it may be worth joining, you will pick up some good advice.

Good luck and I hope you have as much fun with your boat as I have had in the last 36 years.

·
Registered
408 Posts
You don't need a license to use the boat but you do need one to operate the radio. The RYA run these courses, they're pretty easy and can be completed over a few hours. If you don't have a radio yet, and I wouldn't advise going out without one, make sure you get a dsc set rather than just the plain vhf model. The RYA will happily explain the differences to you. They will also give you details of the powerboat level 2 course which is well worth doing and again simple but informative.
I bought my first boat a few years back and have made a few mistakes along the way but am pretty competent now so feel free to ask for advice on any other matters.
Enjoy the boat, there's a saying, ' if you don't like someone buy them a boat ', they're a pain in the arse out of the water but that's all forgotten when you get out.
Have fun.

·
Registered
303 Posts
hi oby, all the above advice is brilliant especially about joining a local boat club where do you live? someone will probably know of a good one near to you, another good source of information is BOAT FISHING MONTHLY they do some very good articles in it especially about safety as has already been said a boat is a hole in the ocean you keep pouring money into. but once your sorted you won't regret it. be safe and tight lines.

·
Registered
77 Posts
as was said you dont need a licence for a boat but some river authoritys do charge for using the river i fish from the river Crouch in essex and they charge £25 per anum it is in the form of a tax disc with the year it is valid

·
Registered
77 Posts
woodbutcher said:
as was said you dont need a licence for a boat but some river authoritys do charge for using the river i fish from the river Crouch in essex and they charge £25 per anum it is in the form of a tax disc with the year it is valid
what life throws at you pick it up and throw it back

1 - 8 of 8 Posts