World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it has taken me a while to get around to posting this but it has been a busy week.
I took a Fox Trek travel rod with me for a spot of beach fishing in the early mornings and evenings and for the first few days tried using rapalas etc to try and catch myself something decent to eat. Although I had a few fish up to about 10lb follow the lures to the rocks I just could not get them to take it.
A change of tactics to float fishing with raw King Prawns and squid saw a few fish caught. The first couple are easily identifiable as Puffer Fish and a small Stingray but the last one looked like a type of bream, does anyone know what it is?
I also caught a couple of Scad that looked exactly like our own ones.

I had a few hours on a Panga up to about 10 miles out but apart from a small Spanish Mackerel and a small Bonito it was a very poor day.
I then splashed out on a 10 hour offshore Panga trip in a 42ft version that took me about 50 miles out to the Tuna grounds. This was far better with me catching a total of 8 yellowfin tuna up to 75lb. At times it was very hectic, as fast as one fish was boated another rod with a fish on would be thrust into my hands for the next battle. The first fish took about an hour to land and was one of the biggest.
Read the full report here.

For anyone that followed my occasional reports on my trip, you will remember that we had a rather eventful quadbike tour. Thankfully the injured americans that we met on that trip are on the mend now, but we went out for a mexican meal with them one night downtown and had a great time with many tequilas sunk.

My wife and I also went on a Pirate ship for a boozy cruise one evening. That was a good laugh with an excellent show laid on by the crew, one of whom was rather tasty, see below!

Oh I also got a picture of me with the missus!

It must have been my lucky week because I also had this rather nice bird on my arm that just would not stop kissing me!

One of the best things though were the spectacular sunsets every night

Despite the few dramas we had while there it turned out to be a good holiday and I would love to go back just for a weeks boat fishing. Maybe next time I will get a Marlin and a Dorado, 2 of the fish I still want to catch. Anyone fancy it sometime?

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
Nice pictures Terry. Couldn't you have sneaked that pirate lady home in your luggage though? :) You didnt do bad then a dozen species caught in two weeks, its better than i do in england! LOL.

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
I have to agree with you about Ron, he seems to be suffering acute cabin fever at the moment:)
Dont you mean "closet" fever! LOL.

·
The people's moral compass
12,847 Posts
looks like you had a great trip Terry, i'm quite envious, the fishing looked almost as good as the pirate-ess !

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Terry I'm not 100% sure but I think your bream-like fish is a Spotted Rose Snapper (Lutjanus guttatus). They're found on the Pacific coast.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Terry I'm not 100% sure but I think your bream-like fish is a Spotted Rose Snapper (Lutjanus guttatus). They're found on the Pacific coast.
I think you could be right, the spot is a giveaway but the stripes are more obvious than shown in any ID pictures I can find.:clap3:

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I think you could be right, the spot is a giveaway but the stripes are more obvious than shown in any ID pictures I can find.:clap3:
Yeah the fins and body shape look the same too and it's found in that part of the world. It's just that difference in colouration from any other images I could find that left me a little unsure.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hmm, not sure about the fish but the pirate girly wasnt black beard thats for sure:) do you know if she needed a cabin boy?:)

Ryan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts