World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Not been down to the boat for a week or two de to work commitments, so I thought I wold pop down at high tide to empty the tender and check her over before going on holiday.

Any way some f###wit has snapped of the starboard cavitation plate on my outboard, just hope at low tide tomorrow I can drag it out of the mud if it is still there ...... im fully comp on my insurance but is it worth claiming or can I just fit a set doel fins and be done with it.:slap:

Regards

Daren:cry:

·
Banned
10,509 Posts
Hi all,

Not been down to the boat for a week or two de to work commitments, so I thought I wold pop down at high tide to empty the tender and check her over before going on holiday.

Any way some f###wit has snapped of the starboard cavitation plate on my outboard, just hope at low tide tomorrow I can drag it out of the mud if it is still there ...... im fully comp on my insurance but is it worth claiming or can I just fit a set doel fins and be done with it.:slap:

Regards

Daren:cry:
How much of the vent plate is missing ?
If you can recover the broken part I suppose it may be possible to get it tigged back on ?

headlight

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
As like as not stood on the anticav plate to have a nose inside your boat, to see if there was anything worth nicking left lying about, & his weight snapped it off, they were never designed to be swimming platforms after all. If you cant find it to get it Tigged back on the Doel fins are a cheap alternative (if you have enough of the anticav plate to bolt them to) I swear by mine, although mine were fitted out of choice unlike your option, bad luck mate! :uhuh:

·
Registered
11,882 Posts
im fully comp on my insurance but is it worth claiming or can I just fit a set doel fins and be done with it.:slap:

Didn't you mention recently that you were thinking of changing the boat? I would claim off the insurance and get it done 'properly' if you are thinking of selling anytime soon - obviously it will mean finding the money for the excess, but I would do it - if I was viewing a boat for sale and it had damage to the lower unit - skeg, AV plate etc, it would put me off as it suggests it's suffered a bit of abuse.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, no part of the missing cav plate on or around the boat at low tide today but it maywell have been washed around abit and settled in the mud .....

I did contact my insurance today and ask for some advice etc if I were to claim and my local Honda dealer and I have a feeling that the motor could be written off due to age and cost of replacements / labour etc as the bare housing is
£ 1200 without any labour and striping out the gears / bearings etc and replacing them.

The remaining part of the cav plate towards the front of the gearbox housing is bent upwards so deffinately hit from behind and or below.

The only thing concerning me is if it is written off will they replace with a new Honda ?? or some other make ??, never claimed on any insurance so wouldn't know.

I am considering the "Doel fin " route rather than claiming, but the all in one type that fit around both sides and bolt further up on the cav plate area so at least I can get a secure fixing

Regards

Daren

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Well, no part of the missing cav plate on or around the boat at low tide today but it maywell have been washed around abit and settled in the mud .....

I did contact my insurance today and ask for some advice etc if I were to claim and my local Honda dealer and I have a feeling that the motor could be written off due to age and cost of replacements / labour etc as the bare housing is
£ 1200 without any labour and striping out the gears / bearings etc and replacing them.

The remaining part of the cav plate towards the front of the gearbox housing is bent upwards so deffinately hit from behind and or below.

The only thing concerning me is if it is written off will they replace with a new Honda ?? or some other make ??, never claimed on any insurance so wouldn't know.

I am considering the "Doel fin " route rather than claiming, but the all in one type that fit around both sides and bolt further up on the cav plate area so at least I can get a secure fixing

Regards

Daren
Hi darren

I f you need it welding give me a shout i sure i will be able to get it sorted out for you FOC

ETEC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.