World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typical poor weather for the school holidays had my daughter looking very grim as she was about to head off to school today. Knowing the weather forecast was about to turn ugly, I let her have the day off for a bit of offshore exploring. The boat was filled with both dive and fishing gear for what ever conditions looked best. Unfortunately, things didn't look too good when we got to the ramp: the water had gone a dirty green and dropped 3 degrees in temp from the warm blue water the day before.

We got outside the bar, to find the inshore dive marks were a waste of time due to the water visibility - so out to the island for a look. Here things were much the same, and the kings which the pros had hammered the day before were nowhere to be found (by anyone). From here we headed out to the kink (continental shelf) to try our luck for anything, but we still had the cool 21 degree water and talk from the game and longliners was of nothing too much going on.

I decided to head back to the island and snorkel for a few abs and let my daughter spear a few mowies. The first spot had a 6ft bronzie hanging around the boat and with the dirty water I decided to head to another spot. The water was a little clearer with visibility around 5m. Problem was there was a seal floundering and bleeding from just having its tail bitten off :help:. We moved about 100m away and hopped in with the snorkel gear. We soon had a couple of lobsters and three abs. Georgia even managed to spear a couple of fish. We decided to have a quick swim with the seals at another spot and let Georgia find the last ab. As usual she found the biggest :confused1:
We got hammered by a southerly on the way home, which is much more fun with wetsuits on. Back at home, my daughter was fiddling with her ab when she pulled a pearl out from under its shell:Worship: After a bit of searching, we've found they are meant to be very rare - about 1 in 100,000 - so considering you are only allowed two per person, she has done very well for a 13 yr old.
JonP

·
Registered
11,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last year her younger sister found a multi coloured sapphire which ended costing a fortune to get cut and put onto jewellery. At least I live in and area which was once a gold mining town, just need the kids to head out and find some.
JonD

·
Registered
310 Posts
Nice report Jon, must go back to Aus again soon. All my relations are on the West side, Perth. Had some great fishing there in the 70s. Intend to do 1 last big holiday when I retire in a couple of years. Do the East coast on the way to the Cook islands. Sounds from your reports, theres still some good fishing to be had that side......Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts