World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Final target of the year is an 8lb+ bass so with this weather blowing the usual suspects out of the water I decided to give the tope and smuts a rest and head out to a favoured bass mark, a stiff north westerly was greeting me blowing onshore giving the perfect big sea synonymous with big bass.

This big bass is eluding me with a four pounder being my best return so far this year which I landed whilst hound fishing on the west side of Luce bay, to be fair to it the 4lber gave a great account of itself.

Anyways back to tonight,

A flooding tide was accompanying the wind so the big rollers were pounding on the shire making fishing a bit lumpy but after a few chucks and getting second prize constantly with the tide race I decided to change tactics and head to the shoreline and fish the third breaker,a rolling lead was a gamble which in hindsight more movement wasn't really needed tonight but this paid dividends as I struck into a small flounder, I lost it right at the edge but sakuma 540 1/0's proved to be too big a mouthful for this sandeel munching flattie, to mix it up again I thumped another lead out and was managing to hold bottom as I had moved and was just casting inside the fierce tide rip, after 5 minutes of my primo match bending then straightening I got a fantastic slackliner, this thing was coming in faster than the hounds I encountered over the weekend, I struggled to keep up and looked across and the old man was reeling in, more expletives than father jacks vocabulary could hold were going through my mind at this point as I thought I was now trying to keep up with a tsm cfs 6:1 retrieve instead of a fish

His weight came in and my line was still going when round the corner of the rock in front of my old man came this flash of silver, quite heavy I must add and I thought I was into a cracking bass, still holding on to this silver bullet I managed to get it into the landing zone and juxtaposing my dodgy eyesight and fading light I was still convinced it was a bass,

I lifted the fish and swung it into a rockpool where it was still going like the clappers and final when it managed to jump out if the pool and calm down a bit, I had in front of me a new species and a pretty tremendous looking fish, magnificent by all accounts, it was a great example of a beach sea trout very pale in colour, all in all a breathtaking silver bullet,

At the time I gave it 2lb 8ozs but took it over to the scales which gave a better reading from my point of view, 4lb 2oz it went to, a few pics were taken and then it was popped back to swim away again.

Its strange how different fish can inch for inch weigh drastically different weights,

It was testing conditions but was glad to get some reward for the effort put in, after about a couple hours I had to call it a night as my ankle simply wouldn't take anymore and unfortunately it is the boss in my fishing decisions still these days.

Cheers
Quag

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
nice wee change there mate , a nice seatrout is a fair bit different toyour usual fair .its looking like it may just be a poor year for the bass ,maybe down to the cold winter or maybe something else,but im sure you will get that 8lber sooner or later !
cheers rab

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
great report mate,
maybe you didn't get the bass you were after, but a nice sea trout is a good consolation prize...

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
welldone on the fish quagmire shame you didnt get the biggy. im still getting used to the winds down there for silver hunting,the only issue i have is trying to get up to date weather and wind for that area for short notice sessions

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Colin, I've an iPhone and I use an app called accuweather, it's pretty decent and gives a pretty accurate account of tge next 15 hrs, dunno if it's just exclusive to iPhone though if you don't have one, nothing worse than arriving fir bass to be greeted by a flat calm sea :-(

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
Colin, I've an iPhone and I use an app called accuweather, it's pretty decent and gives a pretty accurate account of tge next 15 hrs, dunno if it's just exclusive to iPhone though if you don't have one, nothing worse than arriving fir bass to be greeted by a flat calm sea :-(
aint got i phone quag but due apgrade in few months so that will be what im aiming for or something similar, do you just check luce bay? or can you check more specific places?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i use portpatrick drummore and portwilliam as my 3 base places, was on the back shore (portpatrick side) last night as the better bass are over that side IMO,

·
The Lead Legend
4,710 Posts
cool will mind that and i will give you a shout next time im heading down your end

·
Registered
90 Posts
he is just a lucky wee git he was fishing under mine and mr miagi s feet just about,but nice to see just the same.one bass after his foot gave up.the rollers got even bigger so he would not have stayed on the perch he had for much longer

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
he is just a lucky wee git he was fishing under mine and mr miagi s feet just about,but nice to see just the same.one bass after his foot gave up.the rollers got even bigger so he would not have stayed on the perch he had for much longer
Was the bass any size?

I'm sick of all these lessons I've been dishing out lately, I should charge for them, even gave you a half hours head start last night :showoff:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts