World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i've bought a fladen power stick, it was cheap but i can now also add it's useless!!! Firstly after the first use the rings paint began to wear away, but i was willing to cope with this as i intend to upgrade in a few months. then after the second use i realised the second ring is out of line with the rest of the rod so now i've had to make some adjustments using electritioners tape. and thirdly i just took my little brother up the field to teach him how to cast and i cant pull the bleeding thing apart for the life of me and as ive been pulling at it so hard cracks have appeared on the joint. If i take the rod back to the tackle dealer with tape and cracks in it he's gonna laugh me out of the shop. i really dont know what to do and i dont want this stupid rod getting in between me and my sport. any ideas guys?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i dont know about your financial situation but i've just lost my job and for thirty quid the rod should at least function! thanks loads for the advice mate!

T

·
0 Posts
Take the rod back to the shop if possible, it should be in a condition to use when it was bought, not eyes bent etc.
not all fladen rods are bad, they do one called a warbird, which a lot of the boys who bought them around my way gave a big thumbs up, tough rod apparently, they use them for rock fishing. reckon they are a good copy of the abu elite, even looks like them.
failing that try the powerplay from shakespeare, good place to look is Jims tackle (can't remember the web address)
good luck in sorting out your rod,best of luck, Tim

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Try wrapping a cloth round one half and get a mate with a cloth on the other half, try twisting and pulling at the same time. Sometimes a kettle of hot water poured over the joint can help.

Doesn't matter how much a rod costs it is made and sold as a fishing rod. Under the sale of goods act if it doesn't do what it says on the tin, 'Fit for the purpose for which it is intended' or falls to bits 'goods not of merchantable quality' you are entitled to a replacement or a refund. Take it back to the shop.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got it apart! took sand paper to it as a last resort (definately not going back to the shop now) but that seems to have sorted it.

sigh's of relief all round

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Martin,

I'm on a cheap budget as well, to solve the pulling apart problem before puttting the ends together rub candle wax on the male end have been doing this for the last 20 years (LUBE WORKS ON RODS AS WELL AS ?????). Ref rod back to shop you have consumer rights.

Woodster

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
the rod i have was 40 quid. its a leeda quicksilver fs beach. casting wieght 4-6oz.
its powerful and good for 40 quid. :cool:
oi advise you give this a try if you are on a tight budget
for 40 quid you cant go wrong! :D

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
i agree with chrisp, all you have done is try 2 make good a bad rod, i would insist on me money bak or a replacement, if on tight budget go for the daiwa make rods, thats my opinion, wen i put my rods 2gether i spit on the joints, they come apart easy l8r, hope you get sorted m8........

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
poacher said:
i agree with chrisp, all you have done is try 2 make good a bad rod, i would insist on me money bak or a replacement, if on tight budget go for the daiwa make rods, thats my opinion, wen i put my rods 2gether i spit on the joints, they come apart easy l8r, hope you get sorted m8........
I agree with Poacher when I first started fishing I bought a cheap daiwa and still got it. they last ages

V

·
0 Posts
sorry ripper,did'nt mean to offend you,if you want a cheap rod try the leeda ikon i use a couple for rough stuff had no probs,cost £33 each/poindestres :eek:

·
Registered
126 Posts
what I have been told and shown is that you put one hand on each section of the rod and hold it out parallel to you and then move the rod away from you and then back to you in a circular motion this way the joints get tweaked gently and breaks the seal.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Take the rod back m8 as Chris says it must be of merchandisable quality at the very least they should allow you something for it against a new one I bought a penn devilstick beachcaster, an uptider and two reels for £80 and they've been fine- the only probs I've had is that the ring liners seem to be quite brittle but it's hardly the rods fault if I drop the bloody thing :)

B

·
0 Posts
One trick I use to help seperate rod sections is to wrap elastic bands round your hands to give a better grip.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Lads,

Didn't want to but in on this one, however I just can't believe what I am reading.

Martin buys a brand new rod, forget the price, if the thing falls to pieces anytime within a year it has got to go back to the shop from where it was purchased for a full refund or a repair, depending on the length of time that he has had it.

No ifs or buts the law states that whatever you buy it must serve the purpose for which it was bought. No messing. If you start to modify whatever you bought, by, in this case, electricians tape and sandpaper etc, the guarantee becomes null and void.

You should have taken the rod back as soon as you found it to be faulty and either got a new one or your money refunded.

There is no use in crying over spilt milk.

Sorry! but that is how it is.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi lads,

Normally using a pair of Latex gloves and a kettle of boiling water poured slowly over the female section of the rod, the rod sections can be pulled apart. The boiling water expands the socket a fraction of an inch allowing it to pull apart. Don't pour the water over both sections.

The joint should at all times be kept clean and dry, no oil or grease. If it is loose then some candle wax on the male section would normally tighten it up.

Cheers

Drew

1 - 18 of 18 Posts